Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How to obtain medical Records from outside the UK

How to obtain medical Records from outside the UK

Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

frankierose101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to obtain medical Records from outside the UK

Hey guys, I'm new to the group, so first of all thanks for having me over here, and for any potential help that might be rendered through this thread.

I'm originally from the UK, but it's been 10 years since I lived there. I moved from Australia to Los Angeles on an O-1 visa in 2015, and that visa is about to expire. My husband is American (we got married just over a year ago) and so it's now time to apply for a spousal green card.

I'm running into issues because I need my vaccine records from the UK, however I am having an impossible time. The surgery I was registered at when I was a child (and had all of my vaccines) has since closed its doors. I have spoken with the surgery that replaced it, and they have no record of me. They advised I set up an online account in order to access my records digitally, however to set up an online account, I have to visit my GP's office with photo ID. And I don't have a GP's office in the UK anymore, and I'm not planning on heading back there any time soon either. SO.... Has anyone run into this issue before? And if so, how did you manage to obtain your records?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

best,

Frankie
Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to obtain medical Records from outside the UK

You probably don't need your records. As part of the AOS, you'll have a full medical done. The doctor can guess by your age and where you lived which ones you've had, plus there is something called a titre test that will show what you've had done.

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't need to show any records to my civil surgeon: I just guestimated when I would have had the required vaccinations and she was fine with that. She said the only things she has the obligation to confirm are gonorrhoea and TB in the interests of public safety. So we had to get blood tests done to prove negativity for both of these.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

They will likely have been sent to an NHS Central Records office by the last GP that had them. This link might help.
https://pcse.england.nhs.uk/services...dical-records/
Old Jun 5th 2018, 5:53 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Between titer testing and/or re-vacination, it works out. Depending on the vacinev, my understanding is that re-vacinnation if often a good thing or is not contraindicated .
Old Jun 5th 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

I did my medical last week. Had titre test to confirm mmr and chicken pox vaccines, a tetanus shot and chlamydia, syphilis and ghoneria (goodness knows how to spell this lot) screening done at our HMO office and took print out of results to to medical . The civil surgeon did tb test.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

frankierose101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, everyone who has responded! Your advice is super helpful. Although, since I am already a landed resident in the States, I won't be seeing a civil surgeon but a prescribed practitioner here in LA, so who knows what they will tell me. I'm sure everything will sort itself out as I complete and submit my paperwork!
Old Jun 5th 2018, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

They are still called civil surgeons, even in US. The whole medical is actually quite funny. The Dr. who completed mine is a pediatrician so the waiting room was full of babies and new parents. The ruler stuck to the wall measuring your height was warped so everything over 3ft tall was off by a couple of inches. The gown given to me was for a child and left me particularly exposed in a very unflattering way! The eye chart had disney characters all over it. I still giggle when I think about it! Good luck, and I hope your exam is as easygoing.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

PootleK is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't count on the NHS having your vaccination records, they lost all my medical records prior to 2005. As the others said, you may need more jabs, no big deal, just more money! (as always)
Old Jun 5th 2018, 8:48 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankierose101
Thank you, everyone who has responded! Your advice is super helpful. Although, since I am already a landed resident in the States, I won't be seeing a civil surgeon but a prescribed practitioner here in LA, so who knows what they will tell me. I'm sure everything will sort itself out as I complete and submit my paperwork!
In the for what its worth department: "landed resident" is Canadian-speak for permanent resident. The UK uses the terminology "leave to remain." US-speak is "lawful permanent residence" aka "green card."

The doctors allowed to do DHS examinations are called "civil surgeons." In government and military speak, the term "surgeon" is broader than docs who perform surgery.