Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

how long staying in US after H1B expires

how long staying in US after H1B expires

Old Feb 18th 2001, 12:37 am
hu

Can anyone tell me how long I can stay in US legally if my H1B expires? Thanks.

Old Feb 18th 2001, 1:12 am
Joachim Feise

hu wrote:
>
> Can anyone tell me how long I can stay in US legally if my H1B expires? Thanks.

10 days.

Old Feb 19th 2001, 4:15 pm
Michael Walsh

You can't.

> Can anyone tell me how long I can stay in US legally if my H1B expires? Thanks.
>

Old Feb 24th 2001, 3:32 am
inon

I am pasting some text out of a newsletter from a famous attorney.

===================
In particular, if a person overstays 180 days and then leaves the country, such a person
cannot return to the U.S. for three years; if the overstay is a year or longer past the
I-94 expiration date, such a person is barred for ten years. Furthermore, an overstay of
even one day would require the person to make all future visa applications in the home
country rather than in another, more convenient, location such as Canada or a third
country where one may be traveling on vacation. There are some exceptions to the bars
also, and the legal interpretation of who is "unlawfully present," and therefore the
analysis of who is subject to the 3- or 10-year bars, can get quite complicated.
===========================
That's all I have information about your posting.