Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for a green card?!?!?!?!?

How long does it take for a green card?!?!?!?!?

Old Feb 19th 2001, 12:52 pm
Rita Not Hanks Wife Wilson

The story is that greencards are not made at the POE when the spouse enters the US. So
they are given the greencard equivalent which is the I-551 stamp in their passport. This
stamp confers the right to work and travel the same as the greencard. The greencard will
be mailed to the recipient from anywhere from one month to one year after entry.

Rita

AmyBizzarri <[email protected]> wrote in article

> I was under the impression that upon receipt of your visa to emigrate as
the
> spouse of a u.s. citizen you would be able to work asap. I just imagined
that a
> green card came along with this. What's the story here?

Old Feb 19th 2001, 1:23 pm
amybizzarri

I was under the impression that upon receipt of your visa to emigrate as the spouse of a
u.s. citizen you would be able to work asap. I just imagined that a green card came along
with this. What's the story here?

Old Feb 20th 2001, 1:07 am
MoonRose13

Dear Amy,

Do you have a PR Visa? Did immigration stamp your passport with a PR Visa number? If
so, you should be able to work. My husband got his ss# around three weeks after
arriving in the United States. His green card came in the mail about a couple of months
after his arrival.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Old Feb 20th 2001, 4:43 pm
sine nomine

AmyBizzarri wrote:
: I was under the impression that upon receipt of your visa to emigrate as the spouse of a
: u.s. citizen you would be able to work asap. I just imagined that a green card came
: along with this. What's the story here?

rita already answered this really well, but i wanted to clear up what may be a source of
confusion. in this newsgroup, there are alien spouses who've gotten here with three sorts
of visas: permanent resident (cr-1/ir-1), fiance/e (k-1) and everything else.

people who come in on cr-1 or ir-1 visas have had i-130s filed for them (either directly
at the consulate in their home country or at the us service center) by their usc spouses
and have been interviewed at those consulates. they get the i-551 stamp and then the green
card after its made and can work and travel immediately upon entry into the usa.

people who come in on k-1 visas have had i-129fs filed for them at the ins us service
centers by their usc fiance/es and have been interviewed at the consulates in their home
countries. they are eligible to work for 90 days when they enter, which is also how long
they have to get married and file to adjust their status from fiance/e to permanent
resident based on marriage. at that time, they can apply for work and travel authorization
-- the ead and advanced parole you hear about so much around here. each authorization is
only good for a year, so if the application to adjust status isn't approved within that
time they have to file for new authorizations until it is approved (and then they get the
i-551 stamp followed by actual card).

people who come in on any other visa (there are some exceptions that make this category
hard to generalize about) and marry a usc generally follow almost the same path as
fiance/es, except they start at the "marry and file for adjustment" part.

--
sine | deb hoping it makes as much sense now as anything ins-related can

Old Feb 21st 2001, 2:06 am
James McCartney

> each authorization is only good for a year, so if the application to adjust status isn't
> approved within that time they have to file for new authorizations until it is approved

Does it ever occur to those who run our bureaucracy how dumb that is? They could use the
wasted time taken to deal with those extra authorizations to get the AOS's done faster. A
double win.

Old Feb 21st 2001, 12:12 pm
Andy Platt

Most of these provisions of law were enacted when the wait for AOS was well under a year
and you would never need more than one. It is, as you say, high time they were brought
into reality - although I prefer the pushes towards reducing the backlog to six months
better. I would imagine there would be genuine concern that providing an EAD with no
expiry date would be "dangerous" but it should at least be "free refills".

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
>
> > each authorization is only good for a year, so if the application to adjust status
> > isn't approved within that time they have to file for new authorizations until it is
> > approved
>
> Does it ever occur to those who run our bureaucracy how dumb that is? They could use the
> wasted time taken to deal with those extra authorizations to get the AOS's done faster.
> A double win.