Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long did you wait to tell boss leaving UK for USA

How long did you wait to tell boss leaving UK for USA

Old Aug 7th 2003, 9:21 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

SJ Thanks for your story.

I work in web development, the good thing about my job is I cover all areas from graphic design, to coding web pages, and then linking them to a database i've designed. So I think this should put be in a good position for a job.

I've been out to the States a few time, and spoken to alot of people that work in IT. I get the impression that the US has two types of IT workers (from the people i've met):

* Those who work hard, know what they are doing, and get paid alright

* Those who do little work, know f£$K all, and get paid well

Honestly, I used to think America was the cutting edge when it came to technology. But from what i've seen so far I don't think this is the case. I guess i'm branching off my topic here, but I would say they are a little behind. Their mobile phone network is very dated, no simm cards... come on.

Anyway based on the people i've met i'm pretty sure in my abilitys and knowledge to get a job. Coming from the UK everything I do is scrutinised, and I do everything from design right through to development.... its appears in the US its the opposite way round.

For instance I was talking to one guy about a project he and a team of 6 were working on, that had taken them 2 weeks. I didn't want to say anything, but i'd done a very similar project by myself in under 1. I guess companys in the US can afford to be a little more inefficient than UK, and have more money in the kitty for more staff..... or that is my impression.

What do other that are now working in the US think?

Last edited by mcjimbo; Aug 7th 2003 at 9:24 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:53 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcjimbo

I work in web development, the good thing about my job is I cover all areas from graphic design, to coding web pages, and then linking them to a database i've designed. So I think this should put be in a good position for a job.
Well, yeah - along with thousands of other ex-dot.bomb web developers. It's not pretty over there at the moment.
I've been out to the States a few time, and spoken to alot of people that work in IT. I get the impression that the US has two types of IT workers (from the people i've met):

* Those who work hard, know what they are doing, and get paid alright

* Those who do little work, know f£$K all, and get paid well
That's everywhere, not just the USA. The UK has more than it's fair share of talking trousers. "Consultants"? I ask you...
Their mobile phone network is very dated, no simm cards... come on.
OK I'm with you up to a point here. There is a lot of analogue cellular still remaining with the digital networks concentrated on the population centres. Having said that, I'm on Orange in the UK and have never had a problem getting tone in the USA. I don't know about the missing SIM cards though. All my Stateside family and friends have SIM cards in their cellphones. Maybe the CDMA network phones don't use them?
Anyway based on the people i've met i'm pretty sure in my abilitys and knowledge to get a job.
Seriously, good luck. www.craigslist.org is a useful place to check in to.

I guess companys in the US can afford to be a little more inefficient than UK, and have more money in the kitty for more staff..... or that is my impression.
Maybe back in the late '90's that was the case. I don't think so now.

As I said, good luck.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you wait to tell boss you were leaving UK for USA?

Originally posted by mstracy
My wife and I started planning the move about 3 years ago and plan to make the move next summer. I work for a small electronics company and when I discussed it with my boss, he said he wanted to move to the US as well, so we're moving the company and now I have a job when we get there.
mstracy,
You Jammy bugger!!!!