Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long did you wait to tell boss leaving UK for USA

Wikiposts

How long did you wait to tell boss leaving UK for USA

Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:44 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default How long did you wait to tell boss you were leaving UK for USA?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what those of you who have left UK for USA told you work when you left, and when. My fiancee and I are filing a K1 for me to move there next year.

I work in IT and i'm on good money, and I like my job so I don't want to jeopardise my pay review, or my position by telling my work I'm leaving July next year.

How much notice did you give you employer before you left? I'm on good terms with my work, and I guess i'd like a decent reference when I depart. I just don't want them to think i've been decieving them for the past year, when I tell them i'm off. They know i'm engaged, but I think they are under the impression that due to my fiancee being a student, and that i'm in employment she'll move here. I haven't denied or confirmed any of our plans, I just seem to skirt around answering, or change the topic.

Plus I don't want to have to lie to much in my pay review, if I can help it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited by mcjimbo; Aug 6th 2003 at 3:57 am.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:08 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

My advice would be to treat your employer the way you'd deal with BCIS. I worked for the Government, and I was totally honest with them when I told them I'd applied for a visa. I explained that it was going to be a long process, and my boss was very understanding, even to the point where she got very excited for me with each new stage! It didn't affect my pay raise whatsoever, as I still qualified regardless of how much longer I was going to be with the company.

Tell them the truth, but don't offer any more info than they need, unless they ask for it. I "officially" gave one month's notice, as that was the requirement, but because I kept my boss posted, it was no surprise, and that gave them plenty of time to hire someone new. I got a stunning reference, too! I'm sure your process shouldn't affect your raise, and I'm also sure you'd get a good reference if you let them know what's happening. That way, they couldn't accuse you of deceiving them. All the best!

Kate. xxxx
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Good luck finding a job in IT when you get here buddy!!! If I were you I would hand in your notice now and go and take a menial laboujob for minimal wages untill you come over here next July at least then it will not be such a shock when you get here. Ohhh yeah don't forget you'll get about a 6 month career break when you get here, then back to the minimal wage job buddy. Then hopefully after 6 moths of looking and getting turned down 'cos your a forigner someone may actually know the law and not ask for your paper untill they offer you a position. Good luck, you'll need it!!!!
This may sound grim but it is no joke, prepare yourself my friend.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I told my boss my plans around 10 months before I left. They kinda new something was in the works anyway and then when I got engaged in september of last year, I just sat my boss down and explained what was actually going to happen.

Edited to say...I got excellent references from both my manager and director. Make sure you leave on good terms if you wish for this to happen

Last edited by Pimpbot; Aug 6th 2003 at 5:10 am.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:54 am
Jacqueline Bergstedt

Default Re: How long did you wait to tell boss leaving UK for USA

I had planned on giving about 6 weeks notice, pretty soon after I had my K1
visa in hand. I had to hang around anyway for a while to finish tying
everything up. But I ended up giving more like 10 weeks, because my boss
asked me if I would move my holiday that I had booked at the beginning of
the year to after I was planning to leave. So rather than lie, I came
clean. She was absolutely fine, and I also got excellent references.
Regards, jacqueline

"mcjimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    > Just wondering what those of you who have left UK for USA told you work
    > when you left, and when. My fiancee and I are filing a K1 for me to
    > move there next year.
    > I work in IT and i'm on good money, and I like my job so I don't want to
    > jeopardise my pay review, or my position by telling my work I'm leaving
    > July next year.
    > How much notice did you give you employer before you left? I'm on good
    > terms with my work, and I guess i'd like a decent reference when I
    > depart. I just don't want them to think i've been decieving them for the
    > past year, when I tell them i'm off. They know i'm engaged, but I think
    > they are under the impression that due to my fiancee being a student,
    > and that i'm in employment she'll move here. I haven't denied or
    > confirmed any of our plans, I just seem to skirt around answering, or
    > change the topic.
    > Plus I don't want to have to lie to much in my pay review, if I
    > can help it.
    > Any advice would be welcome.
    > --
    > James Davidson
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 6th 2003, 5:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you wait to tell boss you were leaving UK for USA?

Originally posted by mcjimbo
..... How much notice did you give you employer before you left? I'm on good terms with my work, and I guess i'd like a decent reference when I depart. I just don't want them to think i've been decieving them for the past year, when I tell them i'm off. ....
I don't see how it is any different from leaving for another job? ..... and that often takes months of searching even in the UK.

In any case employers' references are restricted (due to legal liablity reasons) and, just like in the US, an official employer's reference is confined to the facts - that you were employed between dates X and Y, and that your attendance and performance were "satisfactory" (anything more would be subjective, anything less could lead to litigation for defamation of character).

Me? I told my boss the day that I handed in my notice.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 6:11 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Good luck finding a job in IT when you get here buddy!!! If I were you I would hand in your notice now and go and take a menial laboujob for minimal wages untill you come over here next July at least then it will not be such a shock when you get here. Ohhh yeah don't forget you'll get about a 6 month career break when you get here, then back to the minimal wage job buddy. Then hopefully after 6 moths of looking and getting turned down 'cos your a forigner someone may actually know the law and not ask for your paper untill they offer you a position. Good luck, you'll need it!!!!

Crikey!!!!! Who said optimism was dead?
Kate. xxxxxxxxx
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:27 am

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I think im going to wait until the last 6 months. By then I will of trained up our new tech guy close to my level, so I won't feel as bad for leaving.

You paint a grim piciture "BritishinOhio". I did realise though that the chances of me getting a job at my level straight away wasn't a reality.

However one of our clients has a US branch, and I speak to their technical support people every week or so. I'm hoping they might be able to put a good word in for me. However i'm looking at moving to Milwaukee, and they are based in Minnesota.... so who knows.

I realise the US economy is in trouble at the moment, but I hope with another year it will get better not worse. The thing your all going to hate me for, is i'm a dual national British/Aussie. So if the States really is that bad, i've talked to my fiancee and shes cool with moving to Oz. In fact thats where we met.

All I know is that by the time I leave England, I will of had enough of grey skys, rain, the gloomy winter and "east enders" hahaha .

Last edited by mcjimbo; Aug 6th 2003 at 8:31 am.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:08 pm

test ....

Last edited by mcjimbo; Aug 6th 2003 at 10:00 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:50 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I think im going to wait until the last 6 months. By then I will of trained up our new tech guy close to my level, so I won't feel as bad for leaving.

You paint a grim piciture "BritishinOhio". I did realise though that the chances of me getting a job at my level straight away wasn't a reality.

However one of our clients has a US branch, and I speak to their technical support people every week or so. I'm hoping they might be able to put a good word in for me. However i'm looking at moving to Milwaukee, and they are based in Minnesota.... so who knows.

I realise the US economy is in trouble at the moment, but I hope with another year it will get better not worse. The thing your all going to hate me for, is i'm a dual national British/Aussie. So if the States really is that bad, i've talked to my fiancee and shes cool with moving to Oz. In fact thats where we met.

All I know is that by the time I leave England, I will of had enough of grey skys, rain, the gloomy winter and "east enders" hahaha .

Grey skies? I'd KILL for that right now! I'm DYIN' in this heat! Just got back from Boston where the heat was much more bearable. Hot, but humid, sort of like the Mediterranean.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what those of you who have left UK for USA told you work when you left, and when. My fiancee and I are filing a K1 for me to move there next year.

I work in IT and i'm on good money, and I like my job so I don't want to jeopardise my pay review, or my position by telling my work I'm leaving July next year.

How much notice did you give you employer before you left? I'm on good terms with my work, and I guess i'd like a decent reference when I depart. I just don't want them to think i've been decieving them for the past year, when I tell them i'm off. They know i'm engaged, but I think they are under the impression that due to my fiancee being a student, and that i'm in employment she'll move here. I haven't denied or confirmed any of our plans, I just seem to skirt around answering, or change the topic.

Plus I don't want to have to lie to much in my pay review, if I can help it.

Any advice would be welcome.

I would not breath a word of it until I had the visa in my hand.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default giving notice at work

we could be leaving before Xmas/new year and sbrayne hasn't told his manager yet. His 'team mates' know on his installs team, but they all know not to let the cat out of the bag. We can't say when we're going until WE know a date anyway . That's called counting your chickens before they're hatched . You're just the same as any other worker there who "doesnt know where they'll be in 8 months time".
Old Aug 7th 2003, 1:25 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hot

Aww dont tell me about heat.. It is so damn hot here (Pamplona, Navarra, Spain).. sorry for the bad word.. but heat makes me cranky lol. It is 110 degrees today.. and I heard at the weather news this morning that is gonna be hotter this weekend aww I cant take it anymore.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:37 pm
Sj

Default Re: How long did you wait to tell boss leaving UK for USA

McJimbo....

Well according to some they would have you working at a restaurant
that has the same letters as your name...while the IT market is a
little tough now, there are jobs there if you have the right skills.
(I am a DBA and programmer in Nebraska and Iam busier than a one
legged man in a butt kicking contest!) and who knows what the market
will be like in a year or two.

I will relate our story and you can decide from it. My fiancee Lara
is a Civil Court Judge in Kostroma Russia. Soon after her bosses and
coworkers found out that we were engaged, she started getting the
crappy cases and alot of her requests were ignored and she was treated
differently--they figured well, she's going to America, why should we
spend any more effort/time with her....

We both knew how long this process would take and we know that she
would still need to work for some time. We thought of several ideas
on how to deal with this such as staging a fake argument/breakup. In
the end, I filed some paperwork with the local goverment for a
business license. This spread a rumor like wilfire that I was
intested in sticking around and before long things were back to normal
for her.

For us, we will tell her boss after we have the visa in hand (we are
currently at the NVC). She will give them adequate time to find a
replacement and we will work things so that she will have the option
to return (especially if the business thing works out).

Hope this helps!

Shawn

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:44:21 +0000, mcjimbo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi everyone,
    >Just wondering what those of you who have left UK for USA told you work
    >when you left, and when. My fiancee and I are filing a K1 for me to
    >move there next year.
    >I work in IT and i'm on good money, and I like my job so I don't want to
    >jeopardise my pay review, or my position by telling my work I'm leaving
    >July next year.
    >How much notice did you give you employer before you left? I'm on good
    >terms with my work, and I guess i'd like a decent reference when I
    >depart. I just don't want them to think i've been decieving them for the
    >past year, when I tell them i'm off. They know i'm engaged, but I think
    >they are under the impression that due to my fiancee being a student,
    >and that i'm in employment she'll move here. I haven't denied or
    >confirmed any of our plans, I just seem to skirt around answering, or
    >change the topic.
    >Plus I don't want to have to lie to much in my pay review, if I
    >can help it.
    >Any advice would be welcome.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:26 pm
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

My wife and I started planning the move about 3 years ago and plan to make the move next summer. I work for a small electronics company and when I discussed it with my boss, he said he wanted to move to the US as well, so we're moving the company and now I have a job when we get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.