Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?

How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?

Old Nov 16th 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

aesphete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?

Update!

I've managed to speak with the immigration attorneys who handled my H1-B petition and they've advised me that it's fine to enter the US now as I'm within the validity period of the visa. My actual start date with my employer is to be arranged between us, and is independent of my entry to the US, therefore I can start on the 5th of December.

Thanks for your help everyone - this is a lovely and helpful community you have here
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aesphete
Update!

I've managed to speak with the immigration attorneys who handled my H1-B petition and they've advised me that it's fine to enter the US now as I'm within the validity period of the visa. My actual start date with my employer is to be arranged between us, and is independent of my entry to the US, therefore I can start on the 5th of December.

Thanks for your help everyone - this is a lovely and helpful community you have here
Glad you've got it sorted out and good luck with getting in touch with a Realtor, it is so much more easier when you have someone who knows the legalities of renting in a country where everything is new. Enjoy the adventure and have a lovely Christmas when it comes
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I had noted that the visa was issued 46 days prior to the employment start date. This thread never disclosed how this came to be. Did someone make a mistake? If who, who was it? Or was there a change in plans subsequent to the paperwork being done?

However, the answer was given by the responsible attorney familiar with the case. I'm still not sure precisely what the underlying basis of the answer was. I have a feeling that the situation involved a gray area of the law so that the rubric of "no harm, no foul" would be in play.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I had noted that the visa was issued 46 days prior to the employment start date. This thread never disclosed how this came to be. Did someone make a mistake? If who, who was it? Or was there a change in plans subsequent to the paperwork being done?

However, the answer was given by the responsible attorney familiar with the case. I'm still not sure precisely what the underlying basis of the answer was. I have a feeling that the situation involved a gray area of the law so that the rubric of "no harm, no foul" would be in play.
When we got our H1-B and H4's, they were issued in September, but we did not arrive in the US until the following February and my OH didn't start work until March 1st. At no point, did the Attorney say that there was an issue regarding when you can and cannot start your employment........ you've got me thinking now