Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?

How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?

Old Nov 16th 2011, 8:26 am
Just Joined

aesphete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?

Hello!

So, my H1-B visa is approved and is valid from the 20th of October. Hooray!

I'm planning on arriving in the US on the 21st of November and had originally intended a start date with my company on the 5th of December, but I'm confused as to whether this is legally possible having read about restriction on entry to the US being a maximum of 10 days prior to the "start date of the visa".

I can't see a date labelled 'start date' on my I-797B - is this the 'valid from' date?

Does anyone know if this is actually the case, and therefore would the latest I could actually turn up for my first day of work would be the 1st of December?

Thanks!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?

Originally Posted by aesphete
Hello!

So, my H1-B visa is approved and is valid from the 20th of October. Hooray!

I'm planning on arriving in the US on the 21st of November and had originally intended a start date with my company on the 5th of December, but I'm confused as to whether this is legally possible having read about restriction on entry to the US being a maximum of 10 days prior to the "start date of the visa".

I can't see a date labelled 'start date' on my I-797B - is this the 'valid from' date?

Does anyone know if this is actually the case, and therefore would the latest I could actually turn up for my first day of work would be the 1st of December?

Thanks!
But you've said that your visa is valid from October 20th....is that a typo?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's valid from October 20th, you can start with your new employer anytime, since it's now November 16th. The only time it becomes an issue is if you're planning on entering the US before the H1-B start date, and I think the timescale is either 10 or 14 days before the H1-B kicks in, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that one. So from what you say, there isn't an issue, so good luck with the new job
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

The restriction only applies if you are wanting to come over before October 1st.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Yippee! Awesome, thanks everyone, that's put my mind at ease. Moving over right before thanksgiving is going to make finding somewhere to live/sorting everything out tricky enough without having some time before I actually start work!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aesphete
Yippee! Awesome, thanks everyone, that's put my mind at ease. Moving over right before thanksgiving is going to make finding somewhere to live/sorting everything out tricky enough without having some time before I actually start work!
Are the company not helping you with accommodation?? Whereabouts are you moving to over here, maybe there's some local Realtor's who you could get in touch with to see what's available etc. if you're looking for a rental. We were fortunate enough to be recommended a Realtor who has worked with us since before we left the UK, she got us the rental we're in just now, and has helped us immensely in finding a new home. Good luck with it all, it's nerve wracking but exciting all at the one time, I know, been there, done that, worn the t-shirt as they say........
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brat1
Are the company not helping you with accommodation?? Whereabouts are you moving to over here, maybe there's some local Realtor's who you could get in touch with to see what's available etc. if you're looking for a rental. We were fortunate enough to be recommended a Realtor who has worked with us since before we left the UK, she got us the rental we're in just now, and has helped us immensely in finding a new home. Good luck with it all, it's nerve wracking but exciting all at the one time, I know, been there, done that, worn the t-shirt as they say........
Sadly not! I've got a relocation bonus to pay for the move and additional costs around that, but not temporary accommodation.

I'm moving to San Francisco, and I'm rather fortunate that my brother lives about an hour or so away - not ideal for a commute, but certainly better than having to hostel/hotel my way through until I find a place of my own to rent. I've been told that with SF, Craigslist is the way to go with hunting for accommodation to rent, however if anyone knows of a good Realtor there, I'd appreciate it!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

There are some members who live in SF so it might be helpful if you started a thread in the Trailer Park asking if anyone can recommend anyone in the SF area. A thread title along the lines of "Can anyone recommend a Realtor in San Francisco?" should do the trick.

You could also try: http://www.rentals.com/California/San-Francisco/ or http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/...A/beds-3#/pg-1
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question. I do have an opinion but I chose not stick my neck out on this one under the rubric in my signature block.

Nonetheless, an interesting question -- although I have an opinion, I don't know the actual answer. This is one of those questions I would post on an immigration attorney chat board if I needed the answer.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Nov 16th 2011 at 1:33 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that everyone except Mr F is confusing two quite separate questions:
  • What is the earliest date that the OP can enter the US?
  • Having entered the US, how long can the OP wait before actually starting work?

It appears that everyone answered the first question but that what the OP really wants is the answer to the second one.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
I suspect that everyone except Mr F is confusing two quite separate questions:
  • What is the earliest date that the OP can enter the US?
  • Having entered the US, how long can the OP wait before actually starting work?

It appears that everyone answered the first question but that what the OP really wants is the answer to the second one.
Ah, I hadn't picked up that the others had misread the question. Yes, this is precisely what I'm concerned about. Thanks for catching this!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would imagine the date to start work would be the date that is on the I-797. On my OH I-797 the date is in the box under his name, on the right hand side. (I have attached a pic of the section where the date is to give you an idea where it would be on yours.
Attached Thumbnails How long before commencement of work can I enter the USA on a H1-B?-1797.jpg  
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SarahG
I would imagine the date to start work would be the date that is on the I-797. On my OH I-797 the date is in the box under his name, on the right hand side. (I have attached a pic of the section where the date is to give you an idea where it would be on yours.
Yeah, that would make sense to me...I'm just hesitant given how complex and convoluted much of the visa process has been so far! As I mentioned in my first post, my 'valid from' date is from the 20th of October this year, so if this is the 'date to start work' and the earliest I can enter the USA is 10 days prior to that then I'm good to turn up to my office on the 5th of December should I fly out on Monday.

I guess it hinges on what the definition of 'date to start work' actually is - if it means the first day I actually rock up to the office rather than the start of the visa validity date, then that changes matters!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Got my husbands I-797B in front of me About quarter of the way down on the righthand side it has:

Notice Type:
Class:
Valid from ***** to *****

The valid from date is the date you can start work, you are allowed to enter the US 10 days prior to that date.

In our case it says Valid from 10/03/2011 to 10/02/2014. We entered the US on the 09/22/11 (oops, which actually was 11 days before the start date phew glad that wasn't picked up at immigration!! ), my husband then started work on the 10/03/11.

I hope that helps.

Vicki
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SarahG
They must have changed the layout slightly as my husbands name is over half way down on the left hand side

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.