Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

how to have legal marriage in brazil

how to have legal marriage in brazil

Old Jan 30th 2001, 10:56 pm
Alvena Ferreira

I found this info on marriage in brazil, it's really designed for UK citizens, but I think
that the info is general enough to be of value for the poster that was wanting to know how
to do it: http://www.brazil.org.uk/page.php?ty...=3&bid=50&pn=1

The brazilian fiance should check with local authorities to get specifics on this,
by the way.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 31st 2001, 3:02 am
Vincent Moore

Alvena and others who have helped on this one,

Thanks for this information. I spent some time today speaking to the US Consulate in Rio
de Janeiro about DCF and to the Brasilian Consulate in Miami about marrying there. My
fiancee also made a visit to the local officials in Brasil to inquire about the process.

As for DCF, it seems quite easy to do in Rio de Janeiro, although the lady in the
immigration visa section stated 3 to 4 months to complete the process. That doesn't seem
to be what is being reported in the newsgroup and in the archives. I expect that she's
being conservative in her estimate of the time involved. I have spoken to two different
people there in the past two days and I have to say that they are very friendly and
informative. No complaints with them whatsoever!

As for the I-129F / K-1 process, I asked about whether or not they require tax returns and
they said no, although I have read that they have asked for the previous year's tax return
before. So, I will definitely be sending that, just in case! When I inquired about how
long for them to receive the approval from TSC, the gentleman that I spoke to, Kendall
Moss, wasn't sure but he put me on hold and checked with someone else. The result - 1 to 2
months. They will NOT open a provisional file, according to him. I asked him if there is
anything we should get started on and he suggested only the police certificate. He gave me
his fax number and told me to have it faxed to him and he would verify that it is the
right one. He stated that one of the problems in interviews is the fiancee showing up with
the wrong police certificate. They don't want the one from the federal police, only from
the state level. Apparently, the states don't report everything to the federal police so
the only one they feel is accurate is the one from the state police.

As of yesterday, Jan 29th, they were scheduling interviews already for April 1st. Maybe,
if TSC cooperates, we might be able to get an interview in June or early July.

As for the marriage IN Brasil, it seems to be quite a detailed process and would be quite
time consuming. I don't think we'd gain any real time advantage over the current 129F
petition. The Brasilian Consulate in Miami was also quite helpful and informative. The
lady in the legalization section was especially helpful and full of information.
Basically, there is no specific set of requirements on getting married there. It is up to
the local authorities and varies significantly. I would first have to provide all of my
documents to the consulate for legalization with the Brasilian government. This costs
$20.00 per document, or $60.00 per package if there are more than three documents. They
complete this process in 3 - 5 days. I would then need to send my documents to Brasil to
my fiancee, who would then need to have them translated by a local translator, approved by
the government. She could then apply for the marriage license. 20 days after that, I would
apparently have to arrive in Brasil and remain for a minimum of 20 days through the rest
of the process. There is no guarantee that it would be only 20 days though. (they
commented that the process is slow sometimes! - sounds like the INS!) It could take
anywhere from 20 to 40 days from what she was told. I have to be there during all of that
time and unfortunately it's not possible for me to do so. This is in the city of Goiania,
in the state of Goias. This could be different in other states / cities in Brasil.
Apparently, me being present in Brasil on a tourist visa complicates the process. It would
be easier, according to them, if I were a resident of Brasil OR if we had children
together! I think that having a child to speed up that process is out of the question!

Anyway, figuring 60 - 70 days to get married (legalization of documents, marriage license,
etc) plus DCF filing time, we gain maybe a month over the current K-1 petition. ( I can't
get down there again until March) True, there would be some benefit of her entering on the
CR1 but it just doesn't seem like the thing for us to do at this time. Mostly because of
the requirement that I be present in Brasil. If she were to come here on a tourist visa,
we marry here, and she returned to Brasil, she could have our US marriage license
legalised there and we could do DCF that way also. Unfortunately, they have already denied
her a tourist visa to the US because of insufficient ties to Brasil. (heard that before,
haven't you?)

Sorry for writing a book here but I thought that some of the little tidbits of information
I included here might benefit someone searching the archives later.

Regards,

Vince (US) and Kenia (Brasil)

> I found this info on marriage in brazil, it's really designed
for UK
> citizens, but I think that the info is general enough to be of
value for
> the poster that was wanting to know how to do it:
> http://www.brazil.org.uk/page.php?ty...=3&bid=50&pn=1
>
> The brazilian fiance should check with local authorities to get specifics on this, by
> the way.
>
> alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 31st 2001, 10:43 am
Grinch

| Sorry for writing a book here but I thought that some of the little tidbits of
| information I included here might benefit someone searching the archives later.
|
| Regards,
|
| Vince (US) and Kenia (Brasil)

I have interest in Brasil at all only those fine nuts that come from there but this is a
very interesting and well written post.

Grinch

Old Feb 1st 2001, 7:08 pm
Vincent Moore

| Sorry for writing a book here but I thought that some of the
> | little tidbits of information I included here might benefit someone searching the
> | archives later.
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | Vince (US) and Kenia (Brasil)
>
> I have interest in Brasil at all only those fine nuts that come from there but this is
> a very interesting and well written post.
>
> Grinch

Thank you! I just hope that it helps someone else later.

This group has been a great source of information for me. I've not really posted much
before but I've been an avid reader for several months now! I'd be lost without my daily
read of the group!

Vince (US) and Kenia (Brasil)