Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How do you get copy of Police file

How do you get copy of Police file

Old Dec 18th 2002, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you get copy of Police file

Who do you contact to get a copy of your Police file in the UK. What is procedure, how much does it cost, how long does it take to get.

I live in USA at moment so not able to pop into a station in UK to ask

Oh and just incase I don't post anything else before Christmas..

Happy Holidays and may 2003 bring your wishes and dreams to life and your divides closer.

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy; Dec 18th 2002 at 8:49 am.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 9:40 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you get copy of Police file

Originally posted by Cathy
Who do you contact to get a copy of your Police file in the UK. What is procedure, how much does it cost, how long does it take to get.

Happy Holidays and may 2003 bring your wishes and dreams to life and your divides closer.

Cathy
Hi Cathy,

request a form from the nearest police station to where you last lived or write directly to NSY. The details are on the US London Embassy web site. It costs £10 and (by law) will take 40 days.

From the london embassy web site

How to obtain a police certificate for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: Immigrant visa applicants who have resided in the UK for 6 months or more since the age of 16, are required to obtain a statement from the

National Identification Service
Subject Access Office, Room 331
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
LONDON, SW1 0BG.

This statement will serve to advise the U.S. Embassy, London whether or not any criminal conviction is held against him/her.

In order to obtain the required statement, the applicant should apply to his/her local police station, where he/she will be given the application forms(s). When completing the application form, the applicable category is “prosecution/conviction history�. There is a £10 fee. The local police will submit the application to the National Identification Service which will respond directly to the applicant. The National Identification Service does not accept applications from individual applicants; the request must be made through the local police. Under the legislation, it can take up to 40 days to receive this document. You are legally entitled to gain access to this information about yourself under Section 21 of the Data Protection Act, 1984.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Dec 18th 2002 at 9:45 am.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Patrick
Hi Cathy,

request a form from the nearest police station to where you last lived or write directly to NSY. The details are on the US London Embassy web site. It costs £10 and (by law) will take 40 days.

From the london embassy web site

How to obtain a police certificate for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: Immigrant visa applicants who have resided in the UK for 6 months or more since the age of 16, are required to obtain a statement from the

National Identification Service
Subject Access Office, Room 331
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
LONDON, SW1 0BG.

This statement will serve to advise the U.S. Embassy, London whether or not any criminal conviction is held against him/her.

In order to obtain the required statement, the applicant should apply to his/her local police station, where he/she will be given the application forms(s). When completing the application form, the applicable category is “prosecution/conviction history�. There is a £10 fee. The local police will submit the application to the National Identification Service which will respond directly to the applicant. The National Identification Service does not accept applications from individual applicants; the request must be made through the local police. Under the legislation, it can take up to 40 days to receive this document. You are legally entitled to gain access to this information about yourself under Section 21 of the Data Protection Act, 1984.

Patrick
Thank you for the Information, however this is writen for those in the UK as you can not deal direct with the NIS as stated on the US Embassy Website (see below)

"The National Identification Service does not accept applications from individual applicants"

So how do you do it from abroad and what ID will you have to have.

Regards

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy; Dec 18th 2002 at 11:18 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Cathy
Hi:

Go to the "Reciprocity Table" for the UK at http://travel.state.gov.

It looks like the form will have to be sent to your last local police station in the UK. I would suggest having a friend pop-in to see if they can pick one up for you.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

sharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to all

You need to go to the National Identification Services website and download a form to request a copy of your record... try this link http://www.met.police.uk/so/nis.htm
(It's a DP1)
Then send it to YOUR police station (my fiances was Scotland Yards)!

You must include 10 GBP for it and the process could take up to 40 days so order it ASAP!

You may want to go ahead and get your medical records and order the UK-85 packet to see what else you need too!

Good luck! Our timeline is posted on this site if you need it!

Sharmila

Last edited by sharmilashah; Dec 19th 2002 at 1:22 am.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 2:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cathy

YOU DON'T NEED A UK POLICE REPORT. You are living in the US and adjusting status here in the US, Florida right? You aren't required to have a police clearance certificate unless you are currently residing overseas.

Rita

Thank you for the Information, however this is writen for those in the UK as you can not deal direct with the NIS as stated on the US Embassy
Website (see below)

"The National Identification Service does not accept applications from individual applicants"

So how do you do it from abroad and what ID will you have to have.

Regards

Cathy
Old Dec 19th 2002, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

But if you remember I had an arrest when I was about 17 which was a spent crime for petti theft. I will need details of this surely for INS interview when it comes around. I know its a long time off but I wanted to be prepared.

I'm 35 now and that was the only time I have been in trouble with the law. It was disclosed on my papers which were filed on 5th November.

Cathy
Old Dec 19th 2002, 3:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But if you remember I had an arrest when I was about 17 which was a spent crime for petti theft. I will need details of this surely for INS interview when it comes around. I know its a long time off but I wanted to be prepared.

I'm 35 now and that was the only time I have been in trouble with the law. It was disclosed on my papers which were filed on 5th November.

Cathy
Don't you mean you need the court records? The police report will only show an arrest. The INS wants copies of the court transcript that shows the charges and conviction and sentence.

Rita
Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Oh I see, so how do you go about getting court records. I don't remember the date or locatation that it happened, is there a general location that you contact or do you need to know the exact courthouse.

What if they don't have the record anymore...

This whole process is like a minefield, you don't want to step wrong and its a slow move forward being guided by those who know.

I appreciate all the help given here, and your understanding welcome. I know for sure I am going to ask many dumb questions between now and interview so please excuse me when I do.

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy; Dec 19th 2002 at 6:31 am.