Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How do they know that I have left the US in my situation!!?

How do they know that I have left the US in my situation!!?

Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do they know that I have left the US in my situation!!?

Originally Posted by md95065
No - the green I-94W has been phased out (for air travellers, at least, not sure about people who enter at a land border.
There's still the I-94 for ground travel as they don't do ESTA. No idea about seabound travel though.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:23 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Albeit involving completely different circumstances, I'm going to give the same advice as I mentioned in this thread. If for whatever reason anyone ever needs to try and prove that they left the USA when they claim they did, they should keep the following evidence:
  • Boarding pass stub from their outbound flight
  • Luggage tag from that flight
  • Credit card receipts from any on-board purchases

In the OPs case, they are also well advised to continue travelling with both the Italian and Australian passports.
Or stamps in their passport showing arrival in another country after they left the US. That said in this case it will likely be in the AUS on not the italian one.

I see not advantage in entering [the US] on an Italian passport over an Australian one, so i guess the advise in this type of situation would be to enter on the passport you will need to leave on. And in most cases airlines want to see the right of entry to a country you are going to, so this will dictate what you have to checkin with. The other solution to this and it may not work everywhere is to get a residence visa in your foreign passport, a friend in NZ noticed his passport would expire while he was on holiday, so i told him to get returning residents visa in his british one, which he did and traveled to australia and back without issue.

tht
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:25 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if I don't have so much confidence in the systems used by the US government always having completely correct information. Look how often people immigrating to the US have trouble getting a social security number because the "aren't in the system".
Being delayed in receiving a very important SSN is a far cry from kicking someone back across an ocean.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:16 am
Just Joined

mooks123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice, I will enter the US next time on my Australian and if at port of entry they ask how I entered the US the last time (in the case they haven't matched my manifests) I will show them the Italian passport, I still have my outbound boarding pass, bags tags, I have university enrolments/results saying I was in Australia at uni not long after I arrived and I also have bank transactions indicating that I was in Australia after I left. I just hope that IF they see something wrong in their system (i.e. departure/arrival not recorded properly) that they won't deny me entry without even considering my explanation/proof.

Last edited by mooks123; Dec 4th 2011 at 4:19 am.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Being delayed in receiving a very important SSN is a far cry from kicking someone back across an ocean.
My point was simply that the complex information systems used by government agencies are far from perfect.

I agree that the consequences of a delay in receiving a social security number and being refused entry to the US are very different, but both of these things happen to people every day.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:02 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

My point was simply that the complex information systems used by government agencies are far from perfect.

I agree that the consequences of a delay in receiving a social security number and being refused entry to the US are very different, but both of these things happen to people every day.
I don't think we disagree on the perfection of the systems or that people get refused. I was merely commenting on how, during the past 8 years I've been reading this forum, I haven't heard a single person report an incident where someone has been refused entry and sent back because they were erronerously thought to have overstayed in this manner. If people were being being refused for overstaying when they hadn't, we'd have heard about it by now.