Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HIB is ending and I am confused...

HIB is ending and I am confused...

Old May 8th 2009, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

sezbean1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HIB is ending and I am confused...

Hi all,
My H1B ends mid-July but I am wondering if I can stay through until the end of the month to pack and tie up loose ends. I have heard that I have a 30 day grace period, someone else said 10days. Does anyone have a sure answer on this or know a place where I can look to get one?
I am planning to go directly to Canada when i leave to spend a few months travelling with my boyfriend. I may pop back to the US for a weekend or 2-is that allowed-I'm a UK citizen? Also, I've heard that if the canadian border control does not take my I-94 card when I leave I should give it to them-is that true?
Thanks!
Old May 8th 2009, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HIB is ending and I am confused...

Originally Posted by sezbean1
Does anyone have a sure answer on this or know a place where I can look to get one?
Unlike F and J nonimmigrant status, there is no official “grace period” for persons in H status after their period of authorized stay ends, or after their employment terminates. USCIS has the discretion to give an unofficial grace period of 10 days, but since this can never be anticipated in advance, persons on H status should plan to apply for change of status or depart the U.S. before the end of their authorized stay. http://www.isss.umn.edu/H1BEmployment/GracePer.html

Ian