Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help regarding changing visa status.

Help regarding changing visa status.

Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

prarthana1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help regarding changing visa status.

I am an Australian citizen living in the US on a H4 visa and have been recently offered a job. I was wondering whether I should apply while staying in US for my E3 visa or leave the country and do it externally? Can people please give me some advice from their experiences as to which way was quicker and how they'd recommend going about it.
Thanks,
P
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help regarding changing visa status.

Originally Posted by prarthana1984
I was wondering whether I should apply while staying in US for my E3 visa or leave the country and do it externally?
You can not work on an H4 visa... and you can not get a visa while inside the US. You don't necessarily have to return home, but you do need to be outside the US.

Ian
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

What Ian is really saying is that you are confusing "visa" and "status". A visa is a document that is used to ENTER the US. Once you are here, you have a particular "status". If you want to change your status, you may be able to do it while you are here. And you don't necessarily need a new visa to change status.

Now, having said that, I'm not sure the answer to your real question. You may or may not be able to change from H4 to E3 status. If so, you probably don't have to leave the US to do it. Hopefully, others with more experience in that area will chime in.

- Eric S.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

prarthana1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Eric...I really need advice on changing status then
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prarthana1984
I really need advice on changing status then
Yes... Eric clarified what I was thinking. You should probably talk to an experienced immigration attorney to find out what your options are and how to go forward.

Ian
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

This link should explain everything you have to do http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consul...as/niv/e3.html

on link

No. You cannot apply for an E-3 visa from within the U.S.

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Apr 24th 2009 at 11:49 pm. Reason: add