Help re Visa app

Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:12 am
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all
Question Help re Visa app

HI.

I have accepted a post with my current employer to work in the US. L1B visa. I filled in the relevant bits and then the app was dealt with by the company lawyers.

Now I realise I messed up.

The field 'Have you been arrested, charged and/or convicted of any crime in the world'

To this I answered NO.

Although not arrested as far as I recall, I was interviewed and cautioned for assualting my now ex-wife, this occurred 10 years ago approx. Bascially I slapped her very hard across the face when I found her in bed with the local Police Officer (she was lucky I didn't throw them both out of the window to be honest.) Then she made a complaint.

I have since sent off for a doc from the Metropolitan Police which shows I have nothing against my record, but I was photographed and fingerprinted I recall. ( I sent for this as my current wife applied to be a child minder thus I needed proof of good behaviour, or rather proof of no bad behaviour)

Would I be best to leave things as they are and mention this at the interview or contact my company (the latter I think would be a bad idea, 1. Why didnt I inform them in the first place 2. I wouldnt want them to know about this anyway.

I have no problem admitting this at the Visa interview, but I am worried about them questioning as to why I didnt mention this at application time.

I could do with help as this is worrying the heck out of me.

thanks

G
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help re Visa app

A domestic violence conviction may also be a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT)
Maybe a good idea to have a chat with a US immigration attorney

http://www.pdsdc.org/CriminalLawData...gstatusdef.asp
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on the lawyer chat. There is no such thing as a 'caution' in the US and you may find that is IS counted as an arrest.
It is different if YOU bring it up at the interview vs THEM bringing it up, but you should know what's in the can of worms you'll be opening.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:34 am
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
It is different if YOU bring it up at the interview vs THEM bringing it up, but you should know what's in the can of worms you'll be opening.
Thanks for the reply. Could you expand on this sentence please?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neojynx
Thanks for the reply. Could you expand on this sentence please?
You can make an error on a form (like foregetting a piece of information), and correct it by bringing it up at the interview. There is no penalty then for 'lying' (although there may be consequences for the information you bring forward). This is why you should not just blurt it out unprepared.

Lying, or making a 'material misrepresentation' by continuing to conceal information that has a bearing on the decision on your case brings its own set of penalties.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:48 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You can make an error on a form (like foregetting a piece of information), and correct it by bringing it up at the interview. There is no penalty then for 'lying' (although there may be consequences for the information you bring forward). This is why you should not just blurt it out unprepared.

Lying, or making a 'material misrepresentation' by continuing to conceal information that has a bearing on the decision on your case brings its own set of penalties.
The classic example of this is failing to list your parking tickets/speeding fines when applying for Citizenship. Parking tickets and fines of this sort have no negative impact on your application if they are declared. However, if you fail to declare them, your application can be rejected due to you failing to show "good moral character".