Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help needed urgently please - borders crossings at Niagara Falls

Help needed urgently please - borders crossings at Niagara Falls

Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:28 pm
IH1
Just Joined

IH1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed urgently please - borders crossings at Niagara Falls

Hi,

I've looked at other threads and I can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I am British and I am going to NY this week and while there, we have booked a 2 day tour to the Niagara Falls halfway through the holiday

I have my passport and the approved ESTA form.

The tour company I have booked with have said this on their acknowledgement email - Non-U.S. Citizens: Must bring a passport with either I-94 visa, multiple-entry visa or Resident Alien Card is required for entry to Canada and re-entry to the United States.

I haven't been to the US before so I don't know what these are.

I need to know when we go over to the Canadian side of the Falls, will we be allowed to re-enter the US with a passport and ESTA? Or do we need another form? If we need another form then what do we need and how do we get it?

I've seen the I-94 form being mentioned on here, do I need this to re-enter? If I do, how do I get one?

Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to get stuck on the Canadian side and not be allowed back into the US.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by IH1; Aug 20th 2010 at 8:31 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed urgently please - borders crossings at Niagara Falls

Originally Posted by IH1
Hi,

I've looked at other threads and I can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I am British and I am going to NY this week and while there, we have booked a 2 day tour to the Niagara Falls halfway through the holiday

I have my passport and the approved ESTA form.

The tour company I have booked with have said this on their acknowledgement email - Non-U.S. Citizens: Must bring a passport with either I-94 visa, multiple-entry visa or Resident Alien Card is required for entry to Canada and re-entry to the United States.

I haven't been to the US before so I don't know what these are.

I need to know when we go over to the Canadian side of the Falls, will we be allowed to re-enter the US with a passport and ESTA? Or do we need another form? If we need another form then what do we need and how do we get it?

I've seen the I-94 form being mentioned on here, do I need this to re-enter? If I do, how do I get one?

Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to get stuck on the Canadian side and not be allowed back into the US.

Thanks for any advice
You will need to take your UK PP. The I-94 is put in your PP when you enter the US by US Immigration. It used to be a green slip but now I think it's just a stamp. It's also a good idea to take your return ticket to the UK with you...just in case US Immigration want proof that you intend to the leave the US.

Have a great time in Niagara Falls...better still try to visit some of the nearby smaller towns. The weather is great at the moment...not too hot and humid.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:08 pm
IH1
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You will need to take your UK PP. The I-94 is put in your PP when you enter the US by US Immigration. It used to be a green slip but now I think it's just a stamp. It's also a good idea to take your return ticket to the UK with you...just in case US Immigration want proof that you intend to the leave the US.

Have a great time in Niagara Falls...better still try to visit some of the nearby smaller towns. The weather is great at the moment...not too hot and humid.
Thank you for your advice. Greatly appreciated as I was worried about getting stuck! I can now breathe easy!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:33 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the stamp is not equivelent to an I-94, but may be accepted for entry. Most airports of entry don't do the paper I-94W slips anymore so you probably won't have one. When you seek entry back into the US they will either honor the stamp you received, or allow you to apply for entry again with an I-94W and pay $6 USD. Please report back on what happens.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:15 am
IH1
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
Actually, the stamp is not equivelent to an I-94, but may be accepted for entry. Most airports of entry don't do the paper I-94W slips anymore so you probably won't have one. When you seek entry back into the US they will either honor the stamp you received, or allow you to apply for entry again with an I-94W and pay $6 USD. Please report back on what happens.
Will they definitely let me back into the US?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IH1
Will they definitely let me back into the US?
No, they won't "definitely" let you in - there only thing that is definite is that in the case of someone who is neither a US citizen or a permanent resident they have essentially absolute discretion to deny you entry.

However the trip that you are proposing is perfectly normal and completely unexceptional and, based on the facts that you have given, there is no reason whatsoever to suppose that you would not be allowed back into the US.

Thousands - probably tens of thousands - of people every year make exactly that kind of trip with no problems whatsoever.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:44 am
IH1
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
No, they won't "definitely" let you in - there only thing that is definite is that in the case of someone who is neither a US citizen or a permanent resident they have essentially absolute discretion to deny you entry.

However the trip that you are proposing is perfectly normal and completely unexceptional and, based on the facts that you have given, there is no reason whatsoever to suppose that you would not be allowed back into the US.

Thousands - probably tens of thousands - of people every year make exactly that kind of trip with no problems whatsoever.
Thank you.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

I have done the Niagara trip twice -both times from the US into Canada and back on the VWP.you shouldnt have a problem as they rather expect one or two people to be tourists. i believe (from memory)entering Canada you have to exit the car and enter a building to get your passport stamped. the canadian PP control officer are fine. I was just in front of a coach load of Japanese tourists complete with cameras and joked 'blimey its like Pearl Harbour' he laughed, said 'yea they come without warning' and let me straight through
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:34 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back my husband, brother, sister in law and I all went to Niagara Falls from NY in the same car. My brother was driving. On the way back when we handed over all four passports (one UK and the rest US) the only question we got was "who's the Brit?" The answer "my sister's husband" was satisfactory and on we went.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
A few years back my husband, brother, sister in law and I all went to Niagara Falls from NY in the same car. My brother was driving. On the way back when we handed over all four passports (one UK and the rest US) the only question we got was "who's the Brit?" The answer "my sister's husband" was satisfactory and on we went.
IO's on both the Canadian side and the US side have really stepped up the game in the last couple of years. A few years ago...we flashed our UK PPs at the Canadian IO and many times it wasn't even taken out of our hands...let alone opened. Now it's a very different story. PP's are examined and swiped...questions are asked ie where are you going...how long for...for what reason? Pretty much the same when entering the US.

2 weeks ago when we came back into the US long delays at the Buffalo and Niagara crossings were reported. We took the Niagara route because the reported delay there was less...it took us 3 hours to cross the border. I don't know what was going down but a lot of cars were being searched.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:35 am
The truth is out there ..

valis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nice

I have very recently done this very trip with my USC spouse, my UK son and my UK sister.

Both entered through Newark on the VWP. They were only issued a stamp in their passports. No I-94 green slip was clipped in their passports.

Entry to Canada was fairly easy. The border official asked how my UK guests had entered the USA and then we were waved through.

Re-entry to the US consisted of waiting in line in the car. I handed all our passports to the US official who appeared to thoroughly scan the passports then asked me what date the UK nationals were due to return to the UK. Then we were waved through. That was it.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:47 pm
IH1
Just Joined

Originally Posted by valis
I have very recently done this very trip with my USC spouse, my UK son and my UK sister.

Both entered through Newark on the VWP. They were only issued a stamp in their passports. No I-94 green slip was clipped in their passports.

Entry to Canada was fairly easy. The border official asked how my UK guests had entered the USA and then we were waved through.

Re-entry to the US consisted of waiting in line in the car. I handed all our passports to the US official who appeared to thoroughly scan the passports then asked me what date the UK nationals were due to return to the UK. Then we were waved through. That was it.
Brilliant. Thanks very much for this.