H1B - Company name change

Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default H1B - Company name change

My husband is here on a H1B visa working for his own company, they are looking to change the company name, will this affect his visa? The company will still be doing the exact same thing and his role will be exactly the same, just the name will change.

Will he need to notify anyone of this for the visa status? as i know it mentions his company name on the visa (i think) or at least on the other important piece of paper we need to show when we enter the country.

Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B - Company name change

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
... will this affect his visa?
I don't think so, no (although I'm not 100% sure). When it comes time to renew the visa, he'll use the new name.

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea but are they officially changing the name, as in he will be paid by a "different" company or are they just using a "doing business as" name where he will still be paid by the same company but the company markets themselves as the new name?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Also interested in an answer to this. My hunch is that a new visa is required, which is a major PITA. I don't know how lenient DHS tends to be if you don't get a new visa.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

We're out here on L1/L2. The part of the company my OH works for was sold to another company. When the new company took over, we had to go back to London and get the visas reissued. The lawyers advised us that only my husband, as the L1 holder, was to go to the embassy. When he got there, they were quite happy to reissue his visa, but not mine because I wasn't there. Fortunately I was able to get a cancellation and get the visa reissued, but the whole thing was very stressful.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Ive done a little bit of 'googling' and most answers seem to be as the tax id will be staying the same then it shouldn't be a problem.
Ill get my husband to discuss it with our immigration lawyer once the change has happened, as not sure how soon it will change.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

My employer changed the name of the company (but there were no changes regarding ownership etc), while I was employed as H1-B and in the midst of labor certification.
The change did not require a re-issuance of my visa, but all of the relevant documentation (company registration etc) had to be submitted to DoL and USCIS to reflect the change in name - which was just the addition of the word "Global", so it was pretty obvious that I had not changed employer.
It was a requirement - rather than a "I suppose it would be polite to let them know".