help needed to move to US

Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:39 pm
Banned

markswindowtinting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help needed to move to US

Hi there, i need help in finding the best option to gain a green card, i am from the UK and married with one 4 year old, i and my wife have only school GCSE's and have a mortgage which if we sell may have £40,000.
Option (1) would be sponsorship from my dad which he was born in the US and moved to the UK when he was 7, the problem with this is he will not leave the UK and has no ties to the US and cannot prove domicile.
Option (2) E2 visa im self employed window tinter and would like to start my own mobile window tinting business and my wife could apply for work permit, problem is the business will not need much money to start but i believe the london embassy requires alot more than £40,000 investment.
Option (3) diversity lottery as my wife is from ireland.
Option (4) my wife could study as a elementry school teacher.
Any help would be appreciated, as this is our dream for the future.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed to move to US

So far, Option 3 sounds best to me.

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:04 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes i think the same. Remember that you both can apply for the DV because of her place of birth so will have 2 applications each (assuming she applies for herself and you, and you apply for yourself and her). This will double your chance.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

MsElui,

Can you do that ?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by powerwrap
MsElui,

Can you do that ?
Yes, it is possible to do what MsElui suggests.

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

2. certainly would not work ....
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:57 pm

Mark,

Option 4 could get you guys into the USA, but it's not a direct path to a green card, which is what you're after.

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Mark, please contact the site admin via email before posting again, thanks.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't the OP apply for US Citizenship through his father, providing he was married to the OP's mother at the time of the birth?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Can't the OP apply for US Citizenship through his father, providing he was married to the OP's mother at the time of the birth?
No. To pass on eligibility, the father would have had to live in the US for 5 years - 2 of which were after the age of 14. Dad is a USC, but he can't pass on eligibility to acquire citizenship... unless, of course, the mother is also a US citizen, then he likely *is* a USC.

Ian
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'd forgotten the stipulations for a USC male being able to pass down citizenship.

One would have thought that if the OP's mother was a USC that would have been mentioned in the OP.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. To pass on eligibility, the father would have had to live in the US for 5 years - 2 of which were after the age of 14. Dad is a USC, but he can't pass on eligibility to acquire citizenship...
Before November 1986, it was 10 years rather than 5.