HELP - Job Offer in US

Old Mar 12th 2019, 5:32 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP - Job Offer in US

Was listening to a guy on the local comedy channel. He was talking about binge watching shows on Netflix (we've guilty with Mad Men and currently the X-Files).
72 hours? He said you just spend that time instead getting a PPL.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 6:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Was listening to a guy on the local comedy channel. He was talking about binge watching shows on Netflix (we've guilty with Mad Men and currently the X-Files).
72 hours? He said you just spend that time instead getting a PPL.
In many cases, yes you would. Some people get through quicker, but 72 hours is certainly not unusual.

I learnt to fly back in the late 90s alongside a guy who now flies for BA. He paid for his own PPL, night rating and basic instrument training (IMC rating), and then was fortunate enough to have a family member offer to pay for his commercial training. He went to the Oxford Flight Training School and the course cost around £40k (yes £ not $) to get him to the standard where an airline picked him up. Remember this was back in around 1998-99.
Most other people who trained with us had to pay for Instructor Ratngs, and then build hours while using the money from instructing to put themselves through commercial training.

Its hard work and its shockingly expensive, even if you are a natural flyer. And it takes a good while to get a good job with the high salary pilots are rumoured to enjoy.

Incidentally he did part of his training in an Arizona Flight School but he went there as part of the course, all organised by Oxford and it was pure training, no instructing etc. He reckoned it was some of the best flying he ever did, because of the amazing landscape there.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 6:45 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In many cases, yes you would. Some people get through quicker, but 72 hours is certainly not unusual.

I learnt to fly back in the late 90s alongside a guy who now flies for BA. He paid for his own PPL, night rating and basic instrument training (IMC rating), and then was fortunate enough to have a family member offer to pay for his commercial training. He went to the Oxford Flight Training School and the course cost around £40k (yes £ not $) to get him to the standard where an airline picked him up. Remember this was back in around 1998-99.
Most other people who trained with us had to pay for Instructor Ratngs, and then build hours while using the money from instructing to put themselves through commercial training.

Its hard work and its shockingly expensive, even if you are a natural flyer. And it takes a good while to get a good job with the high salary pilots are rumoured to enjoy.

Incidentally he did part of his training in an Arizona Flight School but he went there as part of the course, all organised by Oxford and it was pure training, no instructing etc. He reckoned it was some of the best flying he ever did, because of the amazing landscape there.
I'm jealous. I don't have the eyesight for it, unfortunately.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 8:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm jealous. I don't have the eyesight for it, unfortunately.
I'm equally jealous, I did a PPL but eyesight, arthritis, finances etc all meant I knew I could never go any further. The bank loan that paid for my PPL has just been ongoing ever since, redrawn on so many times, but it was worth it.
I remember when his family member told my friend that they would pay for his airline course, he was just stunned, never thought his dream would become reality. I went on his first flight as an airline First Officer, amazing flight even though it was only to Edinburgh! Nothing better than seeing someone achieve their dream. He survived the post 9/11 layoffs, and today is a BA Captain. Which is exactly what he told me he was aiming for when I first met him and he hadn't even flown solo then!