Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help! Daughter has wrong arrival card stapled in her passport!

Help! Daughter has wrong arrival card stapled in her passport!

Old Jul 13th 2002, 9:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help! Daughter has wrong arrival card stapled in her passport!

Can anyone advise or will this query entail in a huge wait at the INS office in Newark, NJ?

My 18 year old daughter has been at boarding school in England and has just taken her "A" level exams. She arrived at Newark airport this afternoon, and I've just looked in her passport....she has the L1 visa as we're here on an intra-company transfer with my husband's job. However, she was so tired on the plane (hangover as she knows she can't drink until aged 21 here!) that she took the wrong form...the green visa waiver form I-94W and the departure record is stapled in her passport.

She should have the white form I-94 instead. On the other hand, she is returning to the UK in September and going on holiday in Portugal with some friends. (We're all going on a Caribbean cruise in August from Puerto Rico).

Is she going to have a major problem with the wrong form, or won't it matter since she is only here for a few weeks and flying out of the US again anyway?

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
Old Jul 13th 2002, 9:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Daughter has wrong arrival card stapled in her passport!

Oops, correction!

My daughter has the L2 visa. Her dad has the L1 visa, but he's currently away for a couple of weeks on a business trip to Asia.
Old Jul 14th 2002, 9:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Help! Daughter has wrong arrival card stapled in her passport!

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:20:00 -0700, Englishmum wrote:

> Can anyone advise or will this query entail in a huge wait at the INS office in
    > Newark, NJ?
    >
    > My 18 year old daughter has been at boarding school in England and has just taken
    > her "A" level exams. She arrived at Newark airport this afternoon, and I've just
    > looked in her passport....she has the L1 visa as we're here on an intra-company
    > transfer with my husband's job. However, she was so tired on the plane (hangover as
    > she knows she can't drink until aged 21 here!) that she took the wrong form...the
    > green visa waiver form I-94W and the departure record is stapled in her passport.
    >
    > She should have the white form I-94 instead. On the other hand, she is returning to
    > the UK in September and going on holiday in Portugal with some friends. (We're all
    > going on a Caribbean cruise in August from Puerto Rico).
    >
    > Is she going to have a major problem with the wrong form, or won't it matter since
    > she is only here for a few weeks and flying out of the US again anyway?
    >
    > I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

No problem. She really is a tourist now. The INS inspector should have caught it at
the airport (he should have noticed that she has an L-2 visa in her passport and
asked her to go back and fill out the white form). But since he didn't, he admitted
her as a tourist.

There are a few minor consequences until she leaves the US again:

- she can't work (L-2s can get work authorization in the US)
- she also cannot go to school (tourists cannot attend school).

Since you are planning to leave the US again very soon, I am assuming that both are
not a problem at all. She will simply "visit" you right now, and when you go on your
cruise will surrender the green I-94W and get a white I-94 when she re-enters.
Depending on exactly where the cruise is going, it may actually be difficult to
surrender the I-94W. In that case, she can even hang on to it until September.

Regardless of what you do, do be sure to have her leave the US again before the date
written on the I-94W.

Ingo