Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help concern staying more than 1 year outside USA

Help concern staying more than 1 year outside USA

Old May 9th 2020, 7:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help concern staying more than 1 year outside USA

Originally Posted by Oussamessi10
If we assume that I managed to enter America normally without problems, will I find a problem in renewing the green card or obtaining citizenship after that or not ???
Thanks
You have asked the same question at least 3 times already. Please understand no one here is an immigration attorney, nor do they have a crystal ball. We cannot tell you with all certainty that you will NOT encounter problems with naturalization. Renewal of the green card will probably not be an issue. Have you read the form for renewing it? What questions are asked?

Last edited by Rete; May 9th 2020 at 7:21 pm.
Old May 9th 2020, 7:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And finally, I answer for your question, if they refused me to enter again to us, I will never give up, I fill the Form i-407 for deleting my name in the system and be non-resident permanent for I have the right to get visa tourist in the future or participate again in dvllotrey maybe if I am lucky win twice hahaha then I come to US with new permanent residency and stay in US forever, then I have easily the right to be US citizen when I pass 5 years in US.
Excuse me, my English is very bad, I speak English just a little not good.
Your name will NOT be deleted from the USCIS system. Once it is on there, it is always on there. The same with your name being on the US Consulate/Embassy files. On the forms you will be asked for your A# and you must give it. You will be asked for your US social security # and you must give it. You are never deleted from any US system.

It is a shame that you stayed out of the US for so many years without first filing for an I-131 or going to the US Consulate to get a returning resident visa. Your English is not bad, it is quite good. Pity you didn't research options before you left the US.

Last edited by Rete; May 9th 2020 at 7:22 pm.
Old May 9th 2020, 7:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

You have already received advice to consult with an immigration attorney. Unfortunately, most immigration lawyers are not really up on LPR abandonment/retention. I practiced for 40 years and tried three of them. So, I have recommended that a good test might be to inquire if the attorney has ever TRIED an abandonment case.

Do note that the advice given by the attorney is affected by ethical considerations imposed on lawyers.

Please do not ask me to represent you, I am very retired. Also, I’ve noted of late that named recommendations are no longer allowed in this forum.

Good luck.
Old May 10th 2020, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Oussamessi10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
You have already received advice to consult with an immigration attorney. Unfortunately, most immigration lawyers are not really up on LPR abandonment/retention. I practiced for 40 years and tried three of them. So, I have recommended that a good test might be to inquire if the attorney has ever TRIED an abandonment case.

Do note that the advice given by the attorney is affected by ethical considerations imposed on lawyers.

Please do not ask me to represent you, I am very retired. Also, I’ve noted of late that named recommendations are no longer allowed in this forum.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot sir,
Based on your vast experience in the field, I want an answer to what will happen after I enter America without problems, meaning that I managed to enter America normally without there being an issue of giving up on permanent residency, will I find a problem in renewing the credit card for ten years and then obtaining citizenship After that or not ??
This is what I would like to know, because if I were asked to give up the permanent residence status at the airport, I would do so although I have the right to have a hearing before the immigration judge and he is the only one who has the right to determine my destiny, because then the case seems to be lost and I have no solution as long as I did not persuade the airport officer of my compelling reasons that forced me to stay in my country despite the presence of some links that confirm my desire to return to America again to live in it.
Old May 10th 2020, 1:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Consult with an immigration attorney to get these questions answered. We have told you all we know. No one can say for sure if you have problems in the future or not. It is unknown.

Rene
Old May 10th 2020, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure I have seen somebody stay out so long and look to go this route, I assume you can document that you were unable to return.
Old May 10th 2020, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Consult with an immigration attorney to get these questions answered. We have told you all we know. No one can say for sure if you have problems in the future or not. It is unknown.

Rene
You are right, thanks, I will consult with an immigration attorney to get these questions answered. I ask you these questions if you know a case like my case and what happens with him after that. I appreciate you answering my questions.
Old May 10th 2020, 2:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right, thanks, I will consult with an immigration attorney to get these questions answered. I ask you these questions if you know a case like my case and what happens with him after that. I appreciate you answering my questions.
We do not know the details of your case, I have not come across anybody not able to travel for so many years, so must be very unusual.
Old May 10th 2020, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure I have seen somebody stay out so long and look to go this route, I assume you can document that you were unable to return.
Yes sir, now I no longer think whether they will allow me to enter or not, I assumed that in the event there was a miracle and I was able to enter America again normally without the issue of giving up permanent residency or the deportation procedures will I be able to renew the GC when It is time for that, and do I get citizenship when I live five continuous years in America, these questions that occupy me a lot now and I would like to know their answers from your own experiences with cases that occurred to them like what happened to me if you examined it and saw what happened to them after that, generally in Anyway, I will try to contact an immigration Attorney to help me answer to my questions.
Thank you all and apologize for bothering you very much.
Old May 11th 2020, 4:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

My friend, the way you are framing your questions indicates you really need to have that legal consultation. Really.
Old May 11th 2020, 11:46 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a stretch to say that you had to take care of your mother for 8 issuers, with no opportunity to return to the US at all in that time.

I agree that an attorney consolidation is in order pronto, because you take any action (like trying to return to the US)
Old May 11th 2020, 3:31 pm
BE Commentator

This article by Charles Wheeler might be of interest.
Old May 12th 2020, 3:33 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This article by Charles Wheeler might be of interest.
wow! good job Folinsky, that's actually a useful article. It must be quite old since the fees for the re-entry permit have increased.

Interesting to note about the extended absence being a factor for naturalization.
Old May 12th 2020, 3:54 am
Just Joined

greginoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar situation to you but this was 15 years ago and it was easier to enter back then without any questions.

I went to see an immigration attorney after I returned, and the simple solution was "don't renew green card, wait 5 years and apply for citizenship"

Your problem is getting back in.

Old May 12th 2020, 4:00 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greginoz
I was in a similar situation to you but this was 15 years ago and it was easier to enter back then without any questions.

I went to see an immigration attorney after I returned, and the simple solution was "don't renew green card, wait 5 years and apply for citizenship"

Your problem is getting back in.
He has to renew the green card next August if he gets back in. Not renewing it would lead to a whole world of problems and would most definitely not lead to citizenship

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.