Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help concern staying more than 1 year outside USA

Help concern staying more than 1 year outside USA

Old May 9th 2020, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Oussamessi10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help concern staying more than 1 year outside USA

Hi everybody, my English isn't very well
I hope that all are fine
I am US permanent resident
I am from morroco, and I stayed outside America for 8 continuous years due to health conditions related to my mother and I had to stay with her and take care of her, and now I want to go back to America and settle in and work in it, and my green card will expire next year in august, so if the CBP allows me to enter in a way Normal, after persuading him, I will find it difficult to renew the green Card, and obtain citizenship after staying five continuous years inside America and working with it ? Thank you very much

Last edited by Oussamessi10; May 9th 2020 at 2:56 am.
Old May 9th 2020, 4:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help concern staying more than 1 year outside USA

If you are allowed to enter the USA, you should not have any further problems.

However, the big problem is convincing the POE officer that you didn't abandon your PR status.

How long did you live in the USA before going back to Morocco 8 years ago?
What ties have you maintained with the USA during your absence? Home, banking, filing taxes, etc?

You might want to look into obtaining a returning resident visa.

Rene
Old May 9th 2020, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Your PR status can only be removed by an immigration judge. So even if the CBP Officer believes you may have abandoned your residency, you have the right to present your case to an immigration judge. Whether you will be successful or not is another matter.
Old May 9th 2020, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are allowed to enter the USA, you should not have any further problems.

However, the big problem is convincing the POE officer that you didn't abandon your PR status.

How long did you live in the USA before going back to Morocco 8 years ago?
What ties have you maintained with the USA during your absence? Home, banking, filing taxes, etc?

You might want to look into obtaining a returning resident visa.

Rene
Thank you for your answer. My question is if we assume that I managed to enter America again in the event that Officer did not ask me about anything and did not doubt me at all and entered America for the sake of luck or that I succeeded in convincing him that I had to stay outside America for a long time because of my mother’s illness and I I have ties maintained with America, as I settled my tax status with irs for 2016, 2017, and 2018. Will I find any difficults to renew the green card for another ten years or not? Will I find it difficult to obtain American citizenship if I stay 5 consecutive years, because I saw that there is in form n-400 part: number of times that I stayed outside America and how long it lasted, so maybe I will find a problem in obtaining citizenship in the future, what do you think ?? My question is : if I sucsess enter to USA without any problem, can i renew my green card for 10 years or I haven't any chance to get it?
The same question for to be US citezen after stay at USA for 5 years consecutive?
Thank you
Old May 9th 2020, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steph0scope
Your PR status can only be removed by an immigration judge. So even if the CBP Officer believes you may have abandoned your residency, you have the right to present your case to an immigration judge. Whether you will be successful or not is another matter.
Thanks a lot
If I enter to USA again without any problem can I renew my green card for 10 years or not?? And what about naturalization when I pass 5 years in USA?? Is there any hope of achieving this, either by renewing or obtaining citizenship ?
Old May 9th 2020, 7:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A competent Lawyer who has actually tried abandonment cases would be my recommendation.
Old May 9th 2020, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
A competent Lawyer who has actually tried abandonment cases would be my recommendation.
If we assume that I managed to enter America normally without problems, will I find a problem in renewing the green card or obtaining citizenship after that or not ???
Thanks
Old May 9th 2020, 7:52 am
Account Closed

If you get in I am not sure it would be wise to apply for US citizenship, renewing the GC should not be an issue.
Old May 9th 2020, 9:01 am
Just Joined

If you get in I am not sure it would be wise to apply for US citizenship, renewing the GC should not be an issue
I mean if I enter to USA without any problem, then you said that I can renew the GC without any problem , then I pass 5 years continuous in USA with new GC, then I will apply for US citizenship such as 2027, I will have any problem with naturuzation or not, this is my question???
Old May 9th 2020, 9:09 am
Account Closed

5 years is 2025.

I could see an argument not to apply, hence my first comment.
Old May 9th 2020, 9:52 am
Just Joined

5 years is 2025.

I could see an argument not to apply, hence my first comment.
What did you main, no hope to apply for US citizenship in 2025 if I enter to US without problem this year and be US citizen ???
Old May 9th 2020, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oussamessi10
What did you main, no hope to apply for US citizenship in 2025 if I enter to US without problem this year and be US citizen ???
I did not say that, I said I could see an issue, hence a need for a lawyer.
Old May 9th 2020, 4:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No one can tell you with 100% certainty what will happen. I suggest taking it one step at a time.

1. Return to the USA and hope you get to stay.
2. If you do get to stay, renew your green card when the time comes.
3. Apply for citizenship at the appropriate time.

Have a consultation with an immigration attorney who might give you more insight.

Just curious, if we said no, you don't have a chance, would you give up and stay in Morocco?

Rene
Old May 9th 2020, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No one can tell you with 100% certainty what will happen. I suggest taking it one step at a time.

1. Return to the USA and hope you get to stay.
2. If you do get to stay, renew your green card when the time comes.
3. Apply for citizenship at the appropriate time.

Have a consultation with an immigration attorney who might give you more insight.

Just curious, if we said no, you don't have a chance, would you give up and stay in Morocco?

Rene
Thanks Rene, I will do that step by step if I enter to US without find any problems at the airport.
So you said that I can then renew my GC without any problems when the time comes?????
What about Biometric Services Appointment. USCIS may require that you appear for an interview or provide fingerprints,
photograph, and/or signature at any time to verify your identity, is this necessary for all the cases of renewal GC or just in some cases???
Because they have before my fingerprints, my photograph and my signature when I Enter to US the first time before getting my first GC???
And finally, I answer for your question, if they refused me to enter again to us, I will never give up, I fill the Form i-407 for deleting my name in the system and be non-resident permanent for I have the right to get visa tourist in the future or participate again in dvllotrey maybe if I am lucky win twice hahaha then I come to US with new permanent residency and stay in US forever, then I have easily the right to be US citizen when I pass 5 years in US.
Excuse me, my English is very bad, I speak English just a little not good.

Last edited by Oussamessi10; May 9th 2020 at 6:01 pm.
Old May 9th 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Oussamessi10
So you said that I can then renew my GC without any problems when the time comes?????
No, that's not what I said. I said no one can tell you for sure what will happen. I said to just apply and see what happens.

What about Biometric Services Appointment. USCIS may require that you appear for an interview or provide fingerprints,
photograph, and/or signature at any time to verify your identity, is this necessary for all the cases of renewal GC or just in some cases???
All cases.

Because they have before my fingerprints, my photograph and my signature when I Enter to US the first time before getting my first GC???
USCIS takes biometrics at every step of the way. Green card, green card renewal, and again at citizenship.

And finally, I answer for your question, if they refused me to enter again to us, I will never give up, I fill the Form i-407 for deleting my name in the system and be non-resident permanent for I have the right to get visa tourist in the future or participate again in dvllotrey maybe if I am lucky win twice hahaha then I come to US with new permanent residency and stay in US forever, then I have easily the right to be US citizen when I pass 5 years in US.
OK, sounds good. Just take it one step at a time and deal with each step as it comes up. Also, have at least a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney who has experience with cases of abandoning US residency.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.