Help

Old May 6th 2023, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Chezzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help

Hi all. I need help! We have been considering moving to the USA for some years now. We have friends in Texarkana who have a guest house we can live in initially, so Texarkana is our choice. I work in cybersecurity and hubby is a landscaper/ contractor so getting work won’t be a problem (we hope). We are obviously in the very early stages but the visas are so confusing! I have read about a duel intent visa? Could anyone point me in the right direction on which visa we would need? And how to go about getting the forms?
Old May 6th 2023, 7:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help

Hi, and welcome to BE.

This gives an overview of all of the visa options so have a good read and see if you think you might be eligible for any. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

Unless you have a lot of money, American relatives, or a business you can expand then you’re going to need a job offer from an employer prepared to sponsor you, so no need to worry about any forms - their immigration lawyers will do it all for you.

Good luck.
Old May 6th 2023, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Chezzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you I’ll have a read 😊
Old May 6th 2023, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

From what you say it looks like you need work visas to move to the US.

This is sponsored by a prospective employer - you don't apply for one.

So you need to get a job with a sponsoring employer.

Another route which might be open to you is if one of you works for a company which has US offices and they are willing to transfer you.
Old May 12th 2023, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chezzy
Hi all. I need help! We have been considering moving to the USA for some years now. We have friends in Texarkana who have a guest house we can live in initially, so Texarkana is our choice. I work in cybersecurity and hubby is a landscaper/ contractor so getting work won’t be a problem (we hope). We are obviously in the very early stages but the visas are so confusing! I have read about a duel intent visa? Could anyone point me in the right direction on which visa we would need? And how to go about getting the forms?
I agree with advice already given, and it is not out of the realm of possibilities that you could land a job in cyber security with an employer willing to sponsor a visa for you (which per US law would necessarily cover all your spouse and children (under 21).

That said I would caution you about three things -

[1] don't get too excited about a job offer from an employer who is not familiar with the process for applying for visas for recruits from outside the US - that there is a significant cost, and an, arguably, even more significant delay, to getting a work visa (unless you are transferring with an existing employer) - the usual visa would be an H-1B, which is applied for in early April (start of the federal government's year), but not avaible for work before October 1 .... so as of today, May 12, 2023, an employer could apply for a visa for you in April 2024, and if successful (typically applications each April exceed available visas by around 4:1), you wouldn't be able to start work before October 1, 2024!

[2] the spouse of an H-2B holder gets an H-4 visa, which does not allow work! (The spouse of someone transferring with an existing employer gets a visa which does allow them to work.) And

[3] the odds are already stacked against you, so throw your net as wide as possible, across the whole US, and accept that if you beat the odds and actually land a job, and get a visa, there is almost zero chance that it will be within even a day's drive of Texarkana.
Old May 13th 2023, 10:09 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything Pulaski has said. Frankly, the chance of you landing a visa in the specific area you mention would be very unlikely unless you focus on businesses in that specific area.