Help!

Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Amandahambley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well I know people who do that but the term is Nurse Practitioner, they can do a few Doctor things without a Doctor signing off. Horrible description but you get the drift.

They also hold mini surgeries.

Well in Colorado anyway.
Ah! We determine nurse practitioner as something entirely different over here. We do mini surgeries too and generally do more than the doctors! People get the community nurses in slightly more than ringing a doctor too. We are unofficially classed as as a jack of all trades
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandahambley
Ah! We determine nurse practitioner as something entirely different over here. We do mini surgeries too and generally do more than the doctors! People get the community nurses in slightly more than ringing a doctor too. We are unofficially classed as as a jack of all trades
Nah, NP in UK is pretty much the same in terms of responsibility as a US NP.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:13 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I would happily do that, just wanted to stay community if possible. I am well aware it will take some time. And as for why I want to come over to the USA, I want better opportunities for my children!
Depending on what you mean by "better opportunities", there are many places better than the USA to raise your children. Some of them don't even require visas - Sweden, for example.

But that's going off on a tangent. I'm sure you're aware the grass isn't always greener...just because the weather's warmer and some things seem cheaper.

All this is a moot unless you can get a visa. Did you read the posts from Sarasota chic? She's the only forum member that managed to move here with a visa to work in nursing that someone could remember within the last 10 years.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would happily do that, just wanted to stay community if possible. I am well aware it will take some time. And as for why I want to come over to the USA, I want better opportunities for my children!
In the US the type of nursing you practice is done by those who work for hospices. These nurses are valued by the people and families they assist and are much needed by those that chose to die at home. There are also visiting nurses that come to take care of non-dying patients who are sent home after surgery and need a nurse to assist with changing dressings, administering medicines and evaluating the current health of the patient.

BTW BE has a forum for nurses, doctors and others in the healthcare arena looking for ways to emigrate to the US. You might want to try there as well. Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats

If the agency you contacted say your best approach is to do hospital nursing for a year and then they would take you on as a client, then that is what you need to do. Of course, hospice nurses are more likely than not, not on the list for immigrating and you would have to work in a hospital once in the US. If they sponsor you for a green card, then once you have said green card you can leave hospital employment and seek nursing employment in the field of your choice. It means doing something you are not happy with doing for several years but it is a way to the US that is open to you.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:52 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm came over as a nurse through O'Grady Peyton. They will not place you in the community as they only have hospital contracts. They can't help you if they can't place you. Perhaps you can just get a job in a hospital to make yourself eligible? After all, if you're coming to America you'll be leaving your job anyway. Once you're here you can then get a job with a home health agency. Honestly, nursing is so different and challenging here you really want that hospital experience or you won't know what's going on when you start working here. You'll drown. At least in a hospital you'll have guidance and get experience working in the US system.