HB-1 or Greencard

Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:07 am
Just Joined

buffle_toe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HB-1 or Greencard

I have been recently looking through many websites, to enquire about moving over to live and work in America. I have recently gained a degree in BEng Computer Networks and Distributed Systems. The problem is after reading all this information i am unsure of wether a green card sponsored job is available(as some of the call centres are terrible) can some one maybe tell me what the difference between a HB-1 and a Greencard. I know the HB-1 lasts for 6 years and you can then progress onto a Greencard, but can you apply direct for a Greencard? What companies are the best type agencies to go with, as i refuse to believe that $449 at HB-1base is something i should be paying to a company to send out my CV, but i will pay this is a good service. I hope this makes sense! Cheers Andy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:55 am
Just Joined

AFK_Matrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HB-1 or Greencard

I am no expert this is just what I have picked up from the forums and my own digging.

First off you are right you have 6 years on a H1b (3 years then you have to get an extension for the next 3 years) then you can apply for a green card as long as its no later than you 5th year on a H1b. If you have submitted your GC application and your H1B comes up to its 6th year you can get 1 year extensions till you get your GC. With GC I think you can work for any company you like (you are tied to the company with a H1B) and after 5 years you can apply for Naturalisation.

You have to have an employer sponsor you for H1B. For GC you can have an employer or an immediate family member sponsor you. With H1B you have to have your application in on 1st April 2008 and if you get it then you can not go and work in the US till October 2008. But there are only 65,000 H1B's available and in 2007 140,000+ people applied so its a lottery. With the GC depending what category you fall under it could take from 1-12 years to get it.

As for finding that company get researching you don't need a company to send out CV's for you. You should know what area of work you are in/want to be in. Use google and start emailing/phoning companies and maybe you will be lucky. I have managed to find a company willing to sponsor me for H1b but its a lottery and I am very unlikely to get in but I think its worth trying.

Others will come in to give you advice with a lot more information and experience than me but I am pretty sure most of what I said is correct. You may also want to read up on an L1 visa.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

buffle_toe is an unknown quantity at this point

Matrix thanks for your quick reply. I have done more research into it and the HB-1 is the way to go. I will take your advice and the advice on other not to pay someone to send out my cv to companies that sponsor HB-1. I have many friends in the South L.A area, torrance, hermosa area, but anywhere within reason of that area to work. I have looked into real estate etc. I have also worked over there the last 3 summers on a J-1 visa, so i know thats where i want to be, just the visa system seems like a pain in the a**. What are the chances of me getting a HB-1 visa this year? My other option is to go to Oz on a Work/Tourist Visa, as they pretty much give them out in lucky bags, any advice is much appreciated!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

It's a H1B, not a HB1. A H1B is a temporary work visa, while a "green card" is permission for permanent residency.

What do you mean, you've "looked into real estate"? To live in, or as a career? I thought you said you did computer engineering?

You're unlikely to find a willing H1B sponsor and get everything in by April 1st... and even if you do, you're only in with a 50/50 chance of getting the visa.

May be best to get hired at a company which has offices in both England and the US. After one year's employment, you may be able to get a transfer to the US office.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have the local industry contacts, what do they say about your chances of finding an employer who would be willing to go through the cost and wait 6 months to sponsor you?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Its hard mate. I have been applying every year for 5 years and never once found a company willing to sponsor a H1B. Closest I got was my last company had an office in New York but they wouldn't transfer me as they wanted me to stay in the UK

As much as I want to live in the USA, and I REALLY do, we have just given up now and are instead applying for a visa for Australia

Still gutted as I love the USA.