Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?

Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?

Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?

Yeah I understand it's not too expensive in that area (apart from fuel!) but was hoping to turn up with enough moola to buy a house and car for cash, and not have a mortgage (like I'd be able to get one anyway!).
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Yeah I understand it's not too expensive in that area (apart from fuel!) but was hoping to turn up with enough moola to buy a house and car for cash, and not have a mortgage (like I'd be able to get one anyway!).
Hi:

I'm fascinated by this discussion -- your initial question was quite simple and I believe that I answered it. The financial reasons for delaying the move are your business and your choice.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you did answer it. What's more, you gave me the answer I wanted to hear.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

azulniew is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in the same situation. We've reduced our property price so much now that with the weakening exchange rate the money we need to live on for the first year or so has dissapeared.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

As I keep saying, renting is not an option.
Sorry, but I still don't understand why renting is not an option for you.

I understand that your reasons may be private. I see your house situation as follows.

Remain in your house - life continues as was. (Possibly the easiest and least stressful option?)

Sell house - at whatever price it takes. (Loss could be 10-100s of 1,000s..)

Rent house out - costs not covered - (may lose 10s of 1,000s over the years)

I have a friend in a similar situation. She simply couldn't afford the £300 a month "loss" each month to rent her house out, so dropped her price to just above her purchase price of 5 yrs earlier - still NO interest. She refinanced, and was able to let the property in a way which just covers her outgoings.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I really don't see what's so difficult to comprehend. Let me put it as succinctly as I can.

If we move to the US without selling the house, we cannot raise enough in rent to even cover the mortgage, let alone any upkeep and agents fees. I have already stated this. Therefore, we will start to mount up debts immediately. In addition, I do not have a job waiting for me in the US. I have already stated this. So how do I even PAY the mortgage in the meantime? As time goes on, the house will be lowering in value (at least in the short to mid-term). And obviously we will be unable to get any credit in the US.

One of the goals of the move is to release capital to make things easier on us. If we move without selling, given the above circumstances, do you think that will make things easier or harder for us?

Does that make it clearer?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see what's so difficult to comprehend. Let me put it as succinctly as I can.

If we move to the US without selling the house, we cannot raise enough in rent to even cover the mortgage, let alone any upkeep and agents fees. I have already stated this. Therefore, we will start to mount up debts immediately. In addition, I do not have a job waiting for me in the US. I have already stated this. So how do I even PAY the mortgage in the meantime? As time goes on, the house will be lowering in value (at least in the short to mid-term). And obviously we will be unable to get any credit in the US.

One of the goals of the move is to release capital to make things easier on us. If we move without selling, given the above circumstances, do you think that will make things easier or harder for us?

Does that make it clearer?
Thanks BG. I promise that I wasn't trying to be inflammatory.

Yes, things are clearer now.

I believe that renting IS an option for many people in your position. There are several variables that could change your situation. eg If you had a job lined up in the US. Or if you had 6-12 months savings sitting in the UK to cover the mortgage and running expenses of your current home.

This is from someone who moved from Oz - leaving behind a property that needed to be let, with a shortfall in rental income (let alone the horrendous service charges on that flat) - to the UK, with no job in the UK and no guarantees of finding one.

I truly hope that you can resolve your situation in as stress-free manner as possible.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

As I'm a similar pickle regarding the original intent of the question, I called the visa hotline yesterday to see if the embassy could give me some advice on what options I had "from the horses mouth" as it were...

They were unable to help me, but they did give me an e-mail address and a code for the subject header... they asked me to send the mail off and explain my situation and ask for advice...

Still waiting to hear back (got an automatic reply saying that it would take about 3 days)... I'll post back again when I get my response... It might be helpful...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

That will be interesting Rob, I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

I presume your question revolves around if there is any future problem obtaining another visa should you not activate this one?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

I tried to ask as open ended a question as I could... I simply asked what my options were with regard to my visa if I were unable to use it by December... Could I perhaps extend it? Could I get another?

Hopefully they'll give me a list of options... I found out the other day that to use my visa then get a reentry permit would cost $380 for the permit... so I'm starting to wonder if that might be the option I go for... Has to be cheaper than going through the whole IR1 visa route again...

Guess I have to wait and see what they have to say!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:59 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robnewman
As I'm a similar pickle regarding the original intent of the question, I called the visa hotline yesterday to see if the embassy could give me some advice on what options I had "from the horses mouth" as it were...

They were unable to help me, but they did give me an e-mail address and a code for the subject header... they asked me to send the mail off and explain my situation and ask for advice...

Still waiting to hear back (got an automatic reply saying that it would take about 3 days)... I'll post back again when I get my response... It might be helpful...
Just FYI when you call the visa hotline you don't reach the embassy. You reach a call center in Scotland who really aren't much help. Emailing seems to be the better option
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Just FYI when you call the visa hotline you don't reach the embassy. You reach a call center in Scotland who really aren't much help. Emailing seems to be the better option
The other end of the horse?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

heheheheheh
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?-funny-pictures-cat-recycles-food.jpg  
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robnewman
I found out the other day that to use my visa then get a reentry permit would cost $380 for the permit... so I'm starting to wonder if that might be the option I go for... Has to be cheaper than going through the whole IR1 visa route again...
Well it depends what you factor in. Don't forget that to apply for the re-entry permit you have to be IN the USA.....personally I include the cost of flights, which is circa £1k for two people. That in itself is more than the cost of visa applications, medical and incidental expenses, even without the $380 for the permit.

I didn't realise that permit was so expensive! And I presume as with all other things you are paying for the application...and it can always be denied...

If we can't sell the house I'm just going to let the visa lapse and reapply, as Mr F says it's really a "non-issue".
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:29 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Moreor less! It'sl like calling customer service. Basically useless!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.