Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?

Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?

Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?

Due to the adverse conditions in the UK housing market, it seems that we may struggle to sell our house for enough cash for it to be worth it, before my IR-1 visa lapses in December.

Thinking about costs, it would be cheaper to go through the whole visa process again, than pay for two flights to the USA, to activate the visa and apply for a re-entry permit, then come home again. Also, if we don't sell our house by that time, it's unlikely that we would be able to do so for a few years, given that it could take 5+ years for the house prices to come back up past their current position.

Obviously there's the time factor if we do apply again, 5-6 months of waiting. But I would be more concerned about whether it's more difficult to get approval for a visa the second time if you don't use the first one you are issued. Has anyone actually done this? I wouldn't imagine it's a common thing.

Would the ConOff accept that not being able to sell our house is a valid reason to not use the visa? It sounds like a good reason to me but of course that means nothing as far as USCIS/DHS are concerned.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone here let a visa lapse then reapplied?

There was another post with a similar question about 2 weeks ago. Of course, the situation may be slightly different, but I remember Mr. F saying *don't be difficult* just get the re-entry permit! However, the OP did not present the financial argument regarding the re-application fees being cheaper than the flights + re-entry fees.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I must have missed that other thread.

I could apply for the re-entry permit, but as I said, if we don't sell by december we aren't likely to sell within the next 2 years either. And I'm presuming you can't apply for re-entry permit after re-entry permit after re-entry permit.......
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I must have missed that other thread.

I could apply for the re-entry permit, but as I said, if we don't sell by december we aren't likely to sell within the next 2 years either. And I'm presuming you can't apply for re-entry permit after re-entry permit after re-entry permit.......
Here it is

Looks like the OP's financial situation was slightly different, as he was already planning to go to the US for a holiday --- which might have been why Mr. F suggested using the I-131 rather than re-applying.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You have the option of flying in and out thereby activitating the IR Visa and then filing for a re-entry permit before you leave US Soil and ask that it be delivered to the "safe" address that you will be using to have your green card delivered and have the two items expressed to you or ...

You can let it lapse with a note to the US Consulate just before its lapsing stating the reasons why you are doing so and advising them you will be reapplying once your property is sold or .....

Rent out the house until it is sold.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

I'm in pretty much the same position myself... I have till the 23rd of December to move (before the Visa expires). We have to sell our house by then, or we can't move. We've already brought the price down to absolute rock bottom and are already making a loss...

I looked into renting it while we were in the US, but to be honest it's just not viable... We would still need to pay the mortgage, and we would need a fully managed letting service... and we'd get about £200 toward the mortgage payment every month after all the fees associated with letting... not to mention the chance that the place might be vacant for periods with no income at all, and extra costs for possibly fixing stuff... We were told by the letting agent we consulted that buy-to-let these days makes no money at all... unless you're an investor and have multiple properties.

It's just not possible in our case. the only options we have is selling and moving, or letting the Visa lapse and reapplying...

I feel your pain BritishGuy36!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah it's a nightmare. As you say renting is not even close to being viable.

A lot of folks suggest renting, but with the cost of mortgages today there's just no way, it used to be worth doing as property prices were only going up...until they weren't!

Had a guy who knows one of my neighbours knock on the door yesterday....he had a viewing and brought his missus back this morning for another look. Who knows...

The missus has set her heart on going back to the US now, and I had prepared myself for the move. My take on it is that if we don't sell by November, the whole move is off, at least until house prices go back above what they are now. Who knows if that will ever happen, and if it does, how long it will take.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

Had a guy who knows one of my neighbours knock on the door yesterday....he had a viewing and brought his missus back this morning for another look. Who knows...
I have my fingers crossed for you!

We switched our estate agent a couple of weeks ago... the previous one's attitude was "just keep bringing the price down"... we had ZERO viewings through this agent... Since September last year!

In the first week we've been active with the new agen we've already had a viewing... It went "well" in as much as they REALY liked the house, but they wanted a garden... which we don't have.

Just have to wait and hope I guess... At least our new agent seems happy they will sell it... Of course they're not going to tell me they won't!

Anybody here want a nice place in Aylesbury?! We'll leave the furniture and car too!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Due to the adverse conditions in the UK housing market, it seems that we may struggle to sell our house for enough cash for it to be worth it, before my IR-1 visa lapses in December.
Hi:

Been there, done that. Other than starting over, it is a non-issue. Really. This applies just to YOU. However, not-using a visa often "wastes" a slot that could've gone to someone else. [Even with "IR" visas, they are computed in the overall visa allocation system].
Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well that's something.

I still hope to sell the house by November, but if not, I'll probably just let it lapse, and look at things again in a few years when it's feasible.

Thanks Mr F.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robnewman
I'm in pretty much the same position myself... I have till the 23rd of December to move (before the Visa expires). We have to sell our house by then, or we can't move. We've already brought the price down to absolute rock bottom and are already making a loss...

I looked into renting it while we were in the US, but to be honest it's just not viable... We would still need to pay the mortgage, and we would need a fully managed letting service... and we'd get about £200 toward the mortgage payment every month after all the fees associated with letting... not to mention the chance that the place might be vacant for periods with no income at all, and extra costs for possibly fixing stuff... We were told by the letting agent we consulted that buy-to-let these days makes no money at all... unless you're an investor and have multiple properties.

It's just not possible in our case. the only options we have is selling and moving, or letting the Visa lapse and reapplying...

I feel your pain BritishGuy36!
Have you considered renting it out to your local council.

Quite a few councils will rent property from private landlords. They look to rent for around 2 - 3 years and part of the rental agreement is a guarantee they will return the property to you in good condition. The council being responsible for any repairs which need doing.

Might be worth enquiring if your local council does this.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's something.

I still hope to sell the house by November, but if not, I'll probably just let it lapse, and look at things again in a few years when it's feasible.
A few years?

In the last market crash, the average U.K. house price peaked at $62.8k in Q2-1989. Prices did not reach this mark again until Q1-1998, almost nine years later.

Adjusted for inflation, prices did not return to this peak until the winter of 2001-02.

You should also consider the likely path of the pound sterling against the U.S. dollar. Is the British economy likely to be stronger than the American economy in the next few years - or weaker?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A few years?

In the last market crash, the average U.K. house price peaked at $62.8k in Q2-1989. Prices did not reach this mark again until Q1-1998, almost nine years later.

Adjusted for inflation, prices did not return to this peak until the winter of 2001-02.

You should also consider the likely path of the pound sterling against the U.S. dollar. Is the British economy likely to be stronger than the American economy in the next few years - or weaker?
Shall we compare crystal balls?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Shall we compare crystal balls?
I am only making the reasonable suggestion that things may not be better in 2 years time and could easily be worse.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:11 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee is renting out his house in Scotland rather than sell it before he comes over. He's only getting ore than his mortgage payments and everything is up to code. He rented on his own without an estate agent. He's just staying with his folks untill he comes over next month. He's even making money on it. I guess he jsut got lucky.Ihope everything worls out and you do get to use your visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.