h4, how can i work

Old May 3rd 2007, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

texasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to all
Default h4, how can i work

hi,
my wife has the h1b and i have an h4,
i'm bored senseless and want to work but will only do so if it's legal,
i remember reading somewhere that if we apply for adjsutment of status to say a green card then i can work while the aplication goes thru,
is this correct????
also, does anyone know any other way i could start working????

i do have an application in to do voluntary work at space center houston so hopefully i will be less bored soon,

thanks,
natt
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: h4, how can i work

Originally Posted by texasnatt
hi,
my wife has the h1b and i have an h4,
i'm bored senseless and want to work but will only do so if it's legal,
i remember reading somewhere that if we apply for adjsutment of status to say a green card then i can work while the aplication goes thru,
is this correct????
also, does anyone know any other way i could start working????

i do have an application in to do voluntary work at space center houston so hopefully i will be less bored soon,

thanks,
natt
Sorry, but an H4 is not allowed to work in any capacity. If you and your wife end up applying for AOS, then yes, you can apply for an EAD at that time...but I get the impression it can take a long while to get to the phase where applying for a GC is allowed. I don't know what it takes to get to that point, though.

Double check on the voluntary work, too...make sure you're allowed to work as a volunteer. You're not supposed to be taking away any job (volunteer or paid) from a USC, as far as I know.

You are free to take classes, though...maybe you can do that to fill up your time.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

texasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to alltexasnatt is a name known to all

heck, thanks for that,
i thought any voluntary work was allowed but what you say makes sense,
another call to the lawyer in the morning i think,
thanks,
natt
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can work quite easily, you leave the US and get a job.

If you want to work in the US, well get your own visa, because depending on what category your wife falls under, EB3 would take years before you could apply for AOS for the greencard if the company was willing to sponsor it, you might run out of visa time, if she's got a masters and falls under EB2, might make it, and if under EB1 would be relatively quick, though I say relative.

Voluntary work is work that would be performed where someone would ordinarily not be paid, so helping out at an animal shelter, community work like cleaning the park of graffiti, soup kitchens, you get the drift, it's not at a job where you just don't get paid.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
You can work quite easily, you leave the US and get a job.
funny you say that,
looks like we probably will,
we thought the UK was bad, this place is just damn crazy,

got caught for speeding, went on a defensive driving course, heck it was a joke, you even mark your own test, a 2 year old could pass,

also got stopped for not indicating when i was, told the cop he was probably too far away to see correctly and he apologised for stopping me,

you can't fnd any healthy food,

and you have to pay tax just to change the title of a vehicle, why the heck is that,

oh, the list just goes on,

we've been here 4 moths and it just sucks,

i think we'll be back in the Uk before long,
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

funny you say that,
looks like we probably will,
we thought the UK was bad, this place is just damn crazy,

got caught for speeding, went on a defensive driving course, heck it was a joke, you even mark your own test, a 2 year old could pass,

also got stopped for not indicating when i was, told the cop he was probably too far away to see correctly and he apologised for stopping me,

you can't fnd any healthy food,

and you have to pay tax just to change the title of a vehicle, why the heck is that,

oh, the list just goes on,

we've been here 4 moths and it just sucks,

i think we'll be back in the Uk before long,
Defensive driving course isn't intended to really teach you anything - it's supposed to inconvenience you sufficiently that you won't want to get caught again.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Defensive driving course isn't intended to really teach you anything - it's supposed to inconvenience you sufficiently that you won't want to get caught again.

then they should lock you up for a year,
that would stop em,

plus you get a discount on your insurance for doing the course,,,,
so in short - you break the law, do a stupid course and get a discount on insurance, sounds crazy to me,
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

then they should lock you up for a year,
that would stop em,

plus you get a discount on your insurance for doing the course,,,,
so in short - you break the law, do a stupid course and get a discount on insurance, sounds crazy to me,
Well, if you're working and have to take the time off work, or your precious weekends - would be quite annoying.

Plus I'd be embarrassed lol.

It isn't intended for big-time lawbreakers of course.
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
doesn't work though, because most of these courses you can do online...so what's the point.
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
doesn't work though, because most of these courses you can do online...so what's the point.
they are also cheaper online,
$25 online, $35 in the classroom,
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:04 pm
Jozef

"texasnatt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
>> You can work quite easily, you leave the US and get a job.
>>
>> If you want to work in the US, well get your own visa, because
>> depending on what category your wife falls under, EB3 would take years
>> before you could apply for AOS for the greencard if the company was
>> willing to sponsor it, you might run out of visa time, if she's got a
>> masters and falls under EB2, might make it, and if under EB1 would be
>> relatively quick, though I say relative.
>>
>> Voluntary work is work that would be performed where someone would
>> ordinarily not be paid, so helping out at an animal shelter, community
>> work like cleaning the park of graffiti, soup kitchens, you get the
>> drift, it's not at a job where you just don't get paid.
>
> funny you say that,
> looks like we probably will,
> we thought the UK was bad, this place is just damn crazy,
>
> got caught for speeding, went on a defensive driving course, heck it was
> a joke, you even mark your own test, a 2 year old could pass,
>
> also got stopped for not indicating when i was, told the cop he was
> probably too far away to see correctly and he apologised for
> stopping me,
>