Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel on L1 while waiting for I485 Approval

Travel on L1 while waiting for I485 Approval

Old May 2nd 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all
Default Travel on L1 while waiting for I485 Approval

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I've searched the forum for about an hour and can't find anything.

On L1A/L2 at the moment and recently submitted I485 & I140 to convert to GC. We are still waiting for EAD and Advance Parole to be processed.

My understanding (which I'm not 100% sure of) is that the minute the EAD is approved for the L1A holder, the L1A becomes invalid and the person can continue to work on the EAD while waiting for the I485 & I140 decision, and at this point AP doc is necessary for travel.

My question is, if we leave the country for a week and the EAD/Advance Parole are processed while we are out (which I know is unlikely, but knowing my luck ), will the L1A/L2 become invalid for re-entry when we try to come back in to the USA?

Any help much appreciated!
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ruslan124 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Travel on L1 while waiting for I485 Approval

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Apologies if this has already been discussed, I've searched the forum for about an hour and can't find anything.

On L1A/L2 at the moment and recently submitted I485 & I140 to convert to GC. We are still waiting for EAD and Advance Parole to be processed.

My understanding (which I'm not 100% sure of) is that the minute the EAD is approved for the L1A holder, the L1A becomes invalid and the person can continue to work on the EAD while waiting for the I485 & I140 decision, and at this point AP doc is necessary for travel.

My question is, if we leave the country for a week and the EAD/Advance Parole are processed while we are out (which I know is unlikely, but knowing my luck ), will the L1A/L2 become invalid for re-entry when we try to come back in to the USA?

Any help much appreciated!
I was hoping someone would jump in and help but since they have not, I will give you my experience. I have an EAD from an L1A. I am in the process of having my EAD extended as it expires in a couple of months and waiting for my I485 approval. While speaking with the company lawyer, I asked her about extending my L1A visa and she said I should about 6 months from its expiry date. So with that in mind, it appears that the EAD does not invalidate the L1A visa.

Additionally, I have traveled a couple of times back to Europe without any advanced parole and had no trouble getting back in.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about the legal side will now step in and confirm or correct my assumptions.