H4 to F2

Old Apr 25th 2002, 6:00 pm
Miriam Seshadri

Default H4 to F2

I have a question regarding the ability to work on an F2 visa. My husband's H1 six
year limit comes up next year and he wants to do postgraduate studies. We have
always thought that he would do this and so have saved a lot.However, I think it
would be necessary for me to work so as not to deplete our savings entirely. As I
have a young daughter, I would only want part-time work and can't get a H1 for that
reason. Is it possible to work on an F2 visa? If so, are there limits to the number
of hours that I can work?

Old Apr 25th 2002, 7:30 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: H4 to F2

Miriam Seshadri wrote:

> I have a question regarding the ability to work on an F2 visa. My husband's H1 six
    > year limit comes up next year and he wants to do postgraduate studies. We have
    > always thought that he would do this and so have saved a lot.However, I think it
    > would be necessary for me to work so as not to deplete our savings entirely. As I
    > have a young daughter, I would only want part-time work and can't get a H1 for
    > that reason.

There is no requirement that an H-1B petition offer full-time employment. I have
heard of persons holding H status for 5 hours per week of employment. The person must
also show that she has sufficient means of support if the job alone would not
reasonably support her.

Is it possible to work on an F2 visa?

No.

If so, are there limits
    > to the number of hours that I can work?

Possibly, your husband could obtain J-1 student status rather than F-1 student
status. He should check this with the international office. J-2 holders can get
employment authorization by filing Form I-765.

Old Apr 26th 2002, 12:30 am
D Jay

I do not think F-2 can work, you have to go to J-2 then your husband has to go J1. J
visa holders have home country requirement.

"Miriam Seshadri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have a question regarding the ability to work on an F2 visa. My husband's H1 six
    > year limit comes up next year and he wants to do postgraduate studies. We have
    > always thought that he would do this and so have saved a lot.However, I think it
    > would be necessary for me to work so as not to deplete our savings entirely. As I
    > have a young daughter, I would only want part-time work and can't get a H1 for that
    > reason. Is it possible to work on an F2 visa? If so, are there limits to the number
    > of hours that I can work?

Old Apr 26th 2002, 7:30 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

D Jay wrote:

> I do not think F-2 can work, you have to go to J-2 then your husband has to go J1.
    > J visa holders have home country requirement.

Not all J-1 holders incur the two-year home residency requirement. If you are from a
country which does not have a skills list (which includes most developed countries),
if you are not pursuing graduate medical education like a residency, and if you do
not receive money directly from the U.S. government or your home government for the J
program, then you will not become subject to the 2 yr HRR. Period.

> "Miriam Seshadri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I have a question regarding the ability to work on an F2 visa. My husband's H1 six
    >>year limit comes up next year and he wants to do postgraduate studies. We have
    >>always thought that he would do this and so have saved a lot.However, I think it
    >>would be necessary for me to work so as not to deplete our savings entirely. As I
    >>have a young daughter, I would only want part-time work and can't get a H1 for that
    >>reason. Is it possible to work on an F2 visa? If so, are there limits to the number
    >>of hours that I can work?