Passport Name Change!! Help!

Old Apr 26th 2002, 8:40 pm
A.L

Default Passport Name Change!! Help!

Help!

I need to get my name changed in my passport to my married name.

I don't know how to do this. At first I thought I needed to send off the U.S Passport
Amendment/Validation Application. Then I thought I needed to apply to the British
Embassy in Washington
D.C.

But I can't find any form to send to them to ask to have my name changed. All I can
find is an application for a british passport and I just got a new passport before I
moved here. Plus it has to be countersigned by someone professional who has known you
at least 2 years. So what... do I have to send it to my mother in England and have
her take it to my old doctor to sign or something???

What do I do?? Do I just send them my passport and a letter explaining what I
need done??

PLEASE HELP! This is driving me insane! Does it ever end?!?!

Old Apr 26th 2002, 8:40 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: Passport Name Change!! Help!

Call the passport office in DC - they are supposed to be pretty helpful.
1-202-588-7800, 1-202-588-7892. Note that because of the high cost, some people
choose not to change the name and travel with the marriage certificate. However, some
people have also reported problems when doing this.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "A.L"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Help!
    >
    > I need to get my name changed in my passport to my married name.
    >
    > I don't know how to do this. At first I thought I needed to send off the U.S
    > Passport Amendment/Validation Application. Then I thought I needed to apply to the
    > British Embassy in Washington
    > D.C.
    >
    > But I can't find any form to send to them to ask to have my name changed. All I can
    > find is an application for a british passport and I just got a new passport before
    > I moved here. Plus it has to be countersigned by someone professional who has known
    > you at least 2 years. So what... do I have to send it to my mother in England and
    > have her take it to my old doctor to sign or something???
    >
    > What do I do?? Do I just send them my passport and a letter explaining what I
    > need done??
    >
    > PLEASE HELP! This is driving me insane! Does it ever end?!?!

Old Apr 26th 2002, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Name Change!! Help!

You use the standard passport application form - C1, and check the boxes for name change and change in marital status.

If you don't know a suitable British or Commonwealth citizen who can vouch for you, you can use a US citizen of similar standing. If there is no one who has known you for two years, I suggest you call the passport desk at the consulate and ask them if a notary public will do, or if they have any standard procedures for your circumstances.

If that won't work, then you'll just have to use your current passport with marriage certificate for the next two years, as Andy described.