H1B visa

Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B visa

Hi all,

I was wondering how difficult it really is to get an H1B after completing some education in the US? For example, those Britons who complete graduate degrees in US schools, how hard is it for them to 'stick on' after their degree? Is this common? Also, how many of these H1B visas turn into US Green Cards?

Thank you!
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B visa

Hi and welcome to BE.

Are you just looking for statistics, or would any of this apply directly to you? It's much easier if you tell us your own scenario rather than speaking in general.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well in 2016 only 27% of potentially valid H1B visa applications were accepted (I am not sure what the statistic is for those applying for the H-1B's reserved for holders of US masters degrees and PhDs), so the odds are stacked against you from the start. Then you need to find an employer willing to wait, though if you're on your post graduate "practical work experience" year that wouldn't be an issue as you transition onto an H-1B.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 21st 2016 at 5:34 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

By graduate degrees, you mean masters and above, right? That opens up another set of H-1B visas available to them, so chances of success increase.

And, studying in the USA gives one the opportunity to network in person with potential employers.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.... studying in the USA gives one the opportunity to network in person with potential employers. ....
And socially.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 21st 2016 at 5:35 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome to BE.

Are you just looking for statistics, or would any of this apply directly to you? It's much easier if you tell us your own scenario rather than speaking in general.

Rene
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well in 2016 only 27% of potentially valid H1B visa applications were accepted, so the odds are stacked against you from the start. Then you need to find an employer willing to wait, though if you're on your post graduate "practical work experience" year that wouldn't be an issue as you transition onto an H-1B.
By graduate degrees, you mean masters and above, right? That opens up another set of H-1B visas available to them, so chances of success increase.

And, studying in the USA gives one the opportunity to network in person with potential employers.

Rene

Hello Rene & Pulaski, thank you for your prompt replies!

I was looking for a verdict on whether it is possible and feasible. In my case, I was thinking of going to graduate school in the US, possibly studying an MBA or MSc (I'm not too sure yet), and hoping to get employed by a firm. I have always thought of migrating to the US and I thought that further education would be a good way to increase my chances.

Regarding Pulaski's comment on transitioning onto an H1-B, do you mean that I can use my practical work experience year in the US after my degree to try and get employed by a firm and then use this to get an H1-B visa?

Oh and also, what are the realistic chances of obtaining a green card after obtaining an H1-B visa?

Thank you for your help!
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by london99
I was looking for a verdict on whether it is possible and feasible. In my case, I was thinking of going to graduate school in the US, possibly studying an MBA or MSc (I'm not too sure yet), and hoping to get employed by a firm. I have always thought of migrating to the US and I thought that further education would be a good way to increase my chances.
It is, indeed.

Regarding Pulaski's comment on transitioning onto an H1-B, do you mean that I can use my practical work experience year in the US after my degree to try and get employed by a firm and then use this to get an H1-B visa?
Yes.

Oh and also, what are the realistic chances of obtaining a green card after obtaining an H1-B?
That is totally up to the employer. I don't know the statistics on that.

If you are single, studying in the USA also provides the path to finding Ms. Right, who could be a USC, which leads to a marriage based adjustment of status to permanent resident.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 21st 2016 at 5:57 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london99
Hi all,

I was wondering how difficult it really is to get an H1B after completing some education in the US? For example, those Britons who complete graduate degrees in US schools, how hard is it for them to 'stick on' after their degree? Is this common? Also, how many of these H1B visas turn into US Green Cards?

Thank you!
Hi, I'm not sure why you've opened up another account, but please note Site Rule 16 and only post using your original username.

I have asked Admin to merge the two accounts.

Thx.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

McBadger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon
Hi all,

Thank you!
I think most foreign graduates here go via the F-1 OPT route into a *large* company, then that company applies for the H1B. There's still a good chance that they run out of OPT and have to work remotely until a H1B magically appears though.