Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

New USCIS regulations for work-related categories

New USCIS regulations for work-related categories

Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default New USCIS regulations for work-related categories

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...2016-27540.pdf

Fair bit of stuff in there, basically provides for more flexibility and they've taken a lot of their policies and put them into regulations. Which in a way is a double-edged sword, because it's clearer, but there's less ability to fudge. E.g. the ten-day grace period before you start work - now it definitely is ten days, no question. And the "how long can I stay if I lose my job" question is now answered, i.e. 60 days. (But it's still ten days from the end of your status).

A lot of it relates to Indians who have to wait forever for a visa number once their I-140 is approved, to make their lives easier.

And they've come up with an official way of fudging gaps in processing paperwork by having a procedure for issuing a one-year EAD.

You can use an expired EAD and an I-797 on I-9.

Etc.