H1B Help

Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

llizgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B Help

Am new in the forum.

My husbands H1B Visa Petition has just been put through. Its a normal process not the premium one. Its roughly just under a month since when it was applied. Just wondering how long it might take before he gets it?

Also was reading some posts here and my understanding is as H1B applicant you can only start working after october. Is that true? So say if he gets back the H1B Petition say end of november, when can he start working?

Your advise will be appreciated
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Help

Originally Posted by llizgal
Am new in the forum.

My husbands H1B Visa Petition has just been put through. Its a normal process not the premium one. Its roughly just under a month since when it was applied. Just wondering how long it might take before he gets it?

Also was reading some posts here and my understanding is as H1B applicant you can only start working after october. Is that true? So say if he gets back the H1B Petition say end of november, when can he start working?

Your advise will be appreciated
He will probably get a Ye or Ne ..this month
if its a Ye he can start Oct 1st at the earliest
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ray for quick response.

I assume and ye(YES)NE (NO)? But in a post i came across earlier it said H1B Petition for april were still being processed. If it is a yes this soon i guess that will be a lottery for us.

So if its a NO as in he gets a reply after oct,, when is the earliest he could apply for?

Anyone else gone thro H1B process your experience will be appreciated
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ray for quick response.

I assume and ye(YES)NE (NO)? But in a post i came across earlier it said H1B Petition for april were still being processed. If it is a yes this soon i guess that will be a lottery for us.

So if its a NO as in he gets a reply after oct,, when is the earliest he could apply for?

they did not have many application this year ... so should not be far behind if at all ..so he will only get a no ... if there is a problem with the application or the company ...
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

When my OH applied for his H1B he put application in April got approval in August, went to Embassy September, OH came over and started work 1st october, we did this in 2005 when there were a lot of applications..

I on the other hand to get mine had to go into a lottery twice 2007 i didnt get a number but did in 2008, same time frame though...

If you go to USCIS website you can put in your case number and everytime someone touches your file it sends you an email, I got the email that we had been approved before the lawyer even knew...
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

So say if he gets back the H1B Petition say end of november, when can he start working?
I don't think this particular question has been answered so I'll have an amateur stab at it. If he gets it approved, which presumably means the 65,000ish cap H1B visas haven't run out, then he can start work anytime after the Oct 1 start date. So any successful applications dated between Oct 1st and March 31st can theoretically start work immediately.

Last year the cap was reached just before Christmas; some previous years had caps reached within days of April 1st. The caps haven't changed; the numbers of employers recruiting via that route plummeted due to the recession.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Last year the cap was reached just before Christmas; some previous years had caps reached within days of April 1st. The caps haven't changed; the numbers of employers recruiting via that route plummeted due to the recession.
Also, in the last 15 months USCIS has been cracking down on "abuse" of the H-1B by Indian computer consulting firms. I don't know exactly how much of a difference this made but it was probably significant.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:12 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by henryh
Also, in the last 15 months USCIS has been cracking down on "abuse" of the H-1B by Indian computer consulting firms. I don't know exactly how much of a difference this made but it was probably significant.
They visited 25k places of business
where H1B holder are reputedly working

A considerable amount apparently were not even known
at these businesses
my friends with H1B had a visit ..she was deemed good..
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

@Geoffm and everyone else thanks ever so much for taking your time to responding.

Will just hold our breath and wait i guess.:-)