Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B Approved - US Embassy Visit Next Week

H1B Approved - US Embassy Visit Next Week

Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

k2col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B Approved - US Embassy Visit Next Week

Hi,

My H1B has been approved, so I've made an appointment with the US Embassy. What I'm not clear about is whether this is a simple appointment to stamp my passport or whether there will be additional processing and delays?

Could anyone with experience of this put my mind at ease, because there's only 9 days between my appointment at the US Embassy and the date of my flight to the US.

Cheers,
Colin.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Approved - US Embassy Visit Next Week

Have you read any of the relevant pages on the Embassy's site? It is not a 'simple' appointment (altho it may turn out to feel that way).

There is also a minimum delay of up to 10 days to get your passport back afterward. You may have timed it too close for your flight. You can look up Administrative Processing on the Embassy site.

All that has been approved at this point is your company and the position they are offering you. YOU still need to apply, be evaluated and be eligible.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I agree he's cutting it a bit fine but it's not a minimum of 10 days, that's more like the maximum.

After your interview, they keep the passport to put the visa in and then release it to a courier company.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I agree he's cutting it a bit fine but it's not a minimum of 10 days, that's more like the maximum.

After your interview, they keep the passport to put the visa in and then release it to a courier company.
Yeah, I'm just making stuff up for fun.

Processing Times

The average visa processing time for successful applicants is five business days, (the period is five to ten business days for petition based applicants - O, P, H, L, Q-1 and R) during which time the applicant's passport must remain with the Embassy. Once processed your visa and passport will be handed to the courier company, DX Secure for delivery. Applicants who are advised at the visa interview that their application requires additional processing should allow approximately 90 days for their application to be processed. However, in some cases, processing can extend to six months or longer.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah, I'm just making stuff up for fun.

Processing Times

The average visa processing time for successful applicants is five business days, (the period is five to ten business days for petition based applicants - O, P, H, L, Q-1 and R) during which time the applicant's passport must remain with the Embassy. Once processed your visa and passport will be handed to the courier company, DX Secure for delivery. Applicants who are advised at the visa interview that their application requires additional processing should allow approximately 90 days for their application to be processed. However, in some cases, processing can extend to six months or longer.

So that's 5 - 10 max days plus next-day delivery if you pay for that.

It took about 3 days in total each time we did it (twice).

Maybe I dreamed it.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Feb 16th 2011 at 12:39 am.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:45 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The average visa processing time for successful applicants is five business days, (the period is five to ten business days for petition based applicants - O, P, H, L, Q-1 and R) during which time the applicant's passport must remain with the Embassy.

wow, as long as that
My last H1B renewal was turned around in 2 days. Seems to be entirely random to me. Will be interested to see later this year how long it takes for renewal number 2........
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

k2col is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies everyone. For the benefit of anyone else that might read this thread one day, here's what happened:

I decided not to change my ticket straight away and went for the visa interview.

A little tip here - take a newspaper/magazine/book in with you! I naively thought that having a scheduled 11am appointment would mean I'd be out of there quite quickly but the whole thing took almost 5 hours!

With no electronic devices to play with it was pretty dull...

Anyway, I spoke to both the interviewer and the lady when I paid for the courier, and both said that I should get my passport back in time. In the end, my interview was on Tuesday and the passport arrived on Friday.