H1B Advice - Moving to US

Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Advice - Moving to US

Did you check Dice to see if your experience was in demand?
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Did you check Dice to see if your experience was in demand?
I have checked and there are plenty of jobs that require the skillset I have, if that's what you mean?

I am going to foscus on Hospitals as healthcare is where my experience lies. Also as they are mostly cap exempt, it removes two of the main reasons company would not sponsor H1B - the long timeframes involved (who wants to hire in January someone who cannot start until October) and the fact that even if you sponsor someone, they may not get through the lottery. Is this sound logic?

Obviously H1Bs are still expensive and require a lot of paperwork/hassle but at least I am removing some of the obstacles while also focusing on experience I have that may help me stand out a bit from the crowd.

I am determined to persevere on this...but I appreciate the uphill climb I have ahead of me.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the biggest issue is that it may not be difficult to find locals.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enigma368
BTW does anyone know is it a similar timeframe for H1B visas when sponsored by cap exempt organisations? Do they still have to file 6 months in advance?
No, they don't, but there can be unpredictable delays in getting the petition approved or (perhaps less likely) in getting the actual visa issued. A big employer is more likely to have experience with the hassle of hiring a foreigner.

Can't improve on the advice offered by everyone else so far, especially the networking part (speaking as someone who is not very good at it) and the wisdom of being as flexible as you can. Generally speaking, for an H-1B they really have to want to hire you. It's not impossible.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

H1b cap exempt process took us about 4 months. Beware though that cap exempt only applies to places like universities and research groups and it can't be transferred like a capped one can (i.e. you can transfer a capped one to another employer whereas the cap except is tied to the original employer).

Very few software opportunities exist in LA. You need to look at San Francisco and Austin, Texas.

Also as others have said, you'll need significant niche skills to make someone want to wait 6 months for you to come on board via the next round of H1b. Take a look at some of the start up lists like Angel.co. They are your best bet for software stuff.

My OH is actively looking and has spoken with several who are interested (he does have a very niche skill though and a US address). Still no offer yet but we are hopeful that someone will sponsor his H1b. The recruiters have not said an outright 'no way' when he's told them he needs sponsoring.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
H1b cap exempt process took us about 4 months. Beware though that cap exempt only applies to places like universities and research groups and it can't be transferred like a capped one can (i.e. you can transfer a capped one to another employer whereas the cap except is tied to the original employer).

Very few software opportunities exist in LA. You need to look at San Francisco and Austin, Texas.

Also as others have said, you'll need significant niche skills to make someone want to wait 6 months for you to come on board via the next round of H1b. Take a look at some of the start up lists like Angel.co. They are your best bet for software stuff.

My OH is actively looking and has spoken with several who are interested (he does have a very niche skill though and a US address). Still no offer yet but we are hopeful that someone will sponsor his H1b. The recruiters have not said an outright 'no way' when he's told them he needs sponsoring.
Not sure what you mean about transferring. You can move from one cap-exempt job to another cap-exempt one.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, yes, excuse my confusion and crap explanation! I meant you cannot move from a cap exempt to a capped organisation.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess there are lots of pros and cons to cap vs cap exempt sponsorship.

I just feel it would be too depressing if I was lucky enough to get H1B sponsored and then lost out in the lottery - esp when the odds were only 45% last year.

I will concentrate on cap exempt jobs for now but will open my options on location and job depending on how I get on.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to foscus on Hospitals as healthcare is where my experience lies.
I'm not sure exactly what kind of experience you have, but I would assume that you don't have much knowledge of the US healthcare industry or US privacy laws etc and that would seem to put you at a significant disadvantage when compared to similarly qualified applicants who do have that experience.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

BTW think this quesiton got lost in the mix. Does anyone know anything about this type of visa described at the link below(I think it is a variation of a J1).

I am eligible for it and do not need a company to sponsor me, but I do need a company to offer me a job first and have the job structured as a trainee-ship. Is this of any use, i.e. would it be more attractive to a potential employer than a H1b?

Professional Career Training - Professional Career Training Programme
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW think this quesiton got lost in the mix. Does anyone know anything about this type of visa described at the link below(I think it is a variation of a J1).
It isn't "a variation of a J1" - it is a J1.

There are quite a few people here who are either on J1 visas or who have been on them at one time or another who should be able to give you advice on what your chances are.

Don't forget that,while being in the US on a J-1 will help you make contacts here, a J-1 will not, in and of itself, give you a path to living permanently in the US.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's certainly an uphill climb which may not lead anywhere with the easy availability of applicants already here however if you're a star performer in some area there may be a chance.

(Looking out the window...LA just looks like a grey overcast day in Manchester this morning...)
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Guess there are lots of pros and cons to cap vs cap exempt sponsorship.

I just feel it would be too depressing if I was lucky enough to get H1B sponsored and then lost out in the lottery - esp when the odds were only 45% last year.

I will concentrate on cap exempt jobs for now but will open my options on location and job depending on how I get on.
You seem to be coming at it from LA first, job second. Is there some other pull to LA?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

You seem to be coming at it from LA first, job second. Is there some other pull to LA?
I have friends there and it is one of my favourite cities(I accept that it is a marmite city and many people hate it) I spent most of November there. I am open to other cities if LA proves a bust but it is my preference.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you employed at the moment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.