H1B

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

oeilieo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B

Hello, I hope you can help me with my current dilemma. I am from Europe, in the US on an H1B. For personal reasons I need to be out of the country this coming year, a lot--this is ok with my US based employer. Is there a minimum number of days I need to be in the US to be within the rules of the visa? Do i need a permanent address, or can i crash with friends/use hotels when i come back for work? Thank you so much for reading! MK
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B

Originally Posted by oeilieo
Is there a minimum number of days I need to be in the US to be within the rules of the visa? Do i need a permanent address, or can i crash with friends/use hotels when i come back for work? Thank you so much for reading!
AFAIK, there is no restriction on the amount of time you can remain outside the USA. Also, the US doesn't care where you live so long as you continue working for your H-1B sponsor. If you're on unpaid leave during this time, that might not be allowed... I'm not 100% sure about that.

Ian
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I hope you can help me with my current dilemma. I am from Europe, in the US on an H1B. For personal reasons I need to be out of the country this coming year, a lot--this is ok with my US based employer. Is there a minimum number of days I need to be in the US to be within the rules of the visa? Do i need a permanent address, or can i crash with friends/use hotels when i come back for work? Thank you so much for reading! MK
My husband did a lot of international travel on his H1B....no problems!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

mexibrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Mexico for the best part of 5 years on my H1B. So no issues there.
Once you get a GC however the rules are completely different.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light

You can travel and keep the H-1B. You should keep careful records of your exact dates outside the US, because you can "recapture" that time later, i.e. add it to the end of your H-1B time. For example, if you are outside the US for 42 weeks during your 6 year H-1B period, you can extend for another 42 weeks. Evidence usually includes boarding passes, passport stamps, etc.

If your employer is not paying you while you are leave/travelling, that might cause a problem. Employers are required to pay a H-1B worker a "prevailing wage" per year. If your salary dips below that amount, it could be a problem for the employer. They need to address this with their immigration lawyer.