H1-B jobs -- how to find one?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Jim_S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1-B jobs -- how to find one?

Just starting to look into getting a work visa for the US.

Having done a mornings research it's looking like it would be the ultimate long-shot, but it's something I'd like to try.

My main question is: how do you find H1-B jobs? Is there a Government list? I turned up loads of paid subscription sites when searching -- is that the only way to go?

I assume H1-B is the only realistic way for me to go? I'm a Graphic Designer (I assume that slips into category 141 - Commercial Artists) with a BSc (though not in design) and coming up on 10 years commercial experience.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1-B jobs -- how to find one?

There have been several posts similar to this one in the past week. Have a look around.

There is no such thing as a list of companies that sponsor H1 visas. The websites you see are scams. A company will hire you based on your specific skills, however it is costly and time consuming for them to do so, so you are going to have to offer something very special that the average graphic designer doesn't have.

Also, remember that H1 visas only allow you to start in October each year (with the application generally filed by April), so you are not going to be an appropriate hire for a company wanting you to start in a timely manner.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim_S
I assume H1-B is the only realistic way for me to go?
Or join a company in the UK with US sites and seek a transfer after a year on an L visa.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Yowzers, thats a lot of scammers. How vexing.

Not really sure I'm quite exceptional enough to make anyone jump through hoops just to employ me...

Not too worried about the timescale mind, but it does put the pressure on, presumably having to get positions sorted around christmas?

This is going to be even more difficult than I thought. Thanks for the reply!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim_S
Not really sure I'm quite exceptional enough to make anyone jump through hoops just to employ me...
Are you just being modest or do you really not think you're 'exceptional enough'? If the latter, then forget the H1B. Not only will it cost the company thousands of dollars, they would also have to wait at least 6 months for you.

Given the large amount of US citizens out of work at the moment (that they can get for free and instantly), you'll need some special skills to make it worth their while hiring you, with the associated costs and delay.

Your best bet by far is to try and find work for a company with offices in the US, work hard, get noticed and then ask for a transfer. You'll still need good skills/experience for them to bother transferring you, but that may be your likeliest option.

Good luck.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Or join a company in the UK with US sites and seek a transfer after a year on an L visa.
Sounds like a plan, but easier said than done...

I guess a move to London to attempt to get in with someone global is the most realistic next step.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

For an H1, this year is probably going to be too late for you. There are still some available but by the time you get a job and everything sorted, I'd imagine they'll be gone.

The timescale will be that you will need to have a position sorted out by March of 2010. It doesn't matter if you secure the position next month or next March - the employer needs to get their attorney to file a petition for the H1 by April 1st 2010.

If you get one (and that is by no means certain since H1s are given out on a lottery basis) and are then approved, you can start work in October 2010. This is a fixed date.

So, you could actually in principle start quicker on an L1. As said already, for this you will need to get work with an agency in the UK with global operations. You'll need to work with them for twelve months, and then they can sponsor you to move to their US office.

The third and final way of course is to marry a yank.