Greencard

Old Sep 15th 2001, 4:37 pm
Jon

Hi,

It has been little over 6 month since the interview approval(stamp), and my wife have
yet to received her greencard. Anyone with the same experience from INS in SEATTLE?

TIA Jon

Old Sep 15th 2001, 11:37 pm
Me

I had my AOS approval last December 15th and still don't have my Green Card from
Nebraska. I'm getting worried. This is nine months for me.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 16th 2001, 9:57 pm
North_to_alaska

[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It has been little over 6 month since the interview approval(stamp), and my wife[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have yet to received her greencard. Anyone with the same experience from INS in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > SEATTLE?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > TIA Jon[/usenetquote2]

Hi Jon, You had better get on into the INS office and see what the hold up is. I was
first told (when I and my son got our passports stamped at the interview in
September) that it would take 3 - 6 months to get the greencards that would come in
the mail. At 3 months I phoned to find out their status. I was told by some INS
official that it usually takes right up to the 6 month deadline and to just wait
patiently. A couple of months after that, I went into the INS office to find out
about it. The gal at the counter checked on the computer and said "they have been
sent back to Nebraska because they were undeliverable." (They had sent them to our
undeliveralbe, because we live rurally, address and not to our post office box.) So
she asked for the correct information and punched it into her computer and said
"There, now they will re-issue them, but it will take 3 - 6 months to get it." So I
went home and waited again some more. Then a couple of months after that, I went back
to the INS office to check and see where in the system the cards were, and the gal
behind the counter said, "We cannot put anything into the computer that will re-issue
the green cards. You have to fill out this form here and send it to INS in Nebraska."
Grumbling under my breath I smiled, took the forms, filled them out (one for my son
and one for me) and mailed it. Then another couple of months later and another trip
to Anchorage, I again went by the INS office to see what was up with the green cards.
There they told us that INS in Nebraska had destroyed them because they had tried to
deliver them to the undeliverable address AGAIN and since it had been too long with
out checking on them, their pollicy dictates that they have to be destroyed. So now
what we have to do is do photo's, finger prints and another $110 each and then we can
have new greencards! (IF they can get them to our address!) So if *I* were you, I
would check up on your green cards at least once a month and doccument who you spoke
to about it. I was told that because there was no proof that I had been checking up
on them, that I would have to pay the whole shot again. I am apealing that however.
She did however extend the stamp in my passport for work authorization for another
year. Hopefully it won't take that long this time. best of luck! Joy

Joy (Canada) Dennis (Cold frozen North Alaska)

Old Sep 17th 2001, 1:57 pm
Jonathan_atc

Stop putting the undeliverable address on the forms, Joy! hahahaha! If they didn't
have it, they would not use it. Get it off your file completely. They ONLY time they
need real (physical) addresses is when you fill out the G-325A. Since that form is
not what they use to send your green card, it is obvious you mistakenly put your
physical address on the I-89 (or whatever that form that they have you put your one
finger print on). Get in there and do a change of address with them. Get that
physical address that doesn't seem to work off your file completely.

Let this be a lesson to anyone else who might find themselves in a similar situation.
i.e. if you have a PO Box because no mail can be delivered to your home's physical
address, don't be putting your physical address on any forms but the G-325A
ESPECIALLY not on the green card form that you put your fingerprint on after a
successful AOS interview.

--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > It has been little over 6 month since the interview approval(stamp), and my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > wife have yet to received her greencard. Anyone with the same experience from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > INS in SEATTLE?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > TIA Jon[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 6:42 pm
North_to_alaska

"Jonathan_ATC" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Jonathan you are too funny!!!! I DARE you to stare down some grim faced INS official
staring down their nose and over their half-glasses who says "You are telling me that
you live in a post office box!" And then sighs like he is having to explain all this
to someone with the IQ of a mosquito. I don't know about else where in America, but
in Alaska so many of us live rurally and have post boxes that we have to put our
physical address on everything (even a Blockbuster card) as well as our mailing
address. And when some stern INS guy tells you to put your physical address on line
23, belive me Johnathan you put it there!!! Even if he IS wrong and it should have
been on line 32! Anyway, further investigation into the delivery problem has lead me
to find out that as long as you put that extra 4 didgets after your zip code, the
mail man here will find your box no matter what address is on the envelope. (Up here,
hardly anyone uses that extra 4 numbers, but you can be sure I will from now on!)
Anyway, go ahead, pick on this poor ignorant immigrant! I can take it! ha ha ha We
will see who has the last laugh! My green card will come one day! Happy Monday! Joy
Joy (Canada) Dennis (Lurking in a post office box somewhere in Alaska)

Old Sep 17th 2001, 9:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Dennis,

That's because the first thing the Postal Service does with a piece of mail is send it to a sorting center where a machine looks for and reads the zip code. Then another machine translates that zip code into a bar code that gets printed along the bottom edge of the envelope. Then a 3rd machine reads that bar code and the sorting process begins - all handled by machines.

The mail may get back into human hands sooner in the delivery process in Alaska than in much of the lower 48, but no matter where you are machines handle much of the sorting. As long as a mail piece has a full 9-digit zip code it can be sorted right down to an individual PO box or to the number of the stop (e.g. the 10th house) on an individual carrier's delivery route.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by North_to_alaska
... Anyway, further investigation into the delivery problem has lead me
to find out that as long as you put that extra 4 didgets after your zip code, the
mail man here will find your box no matter what address is on the envelope. ...
(Canada) Dennis (Lurking in a post office box somewhere in Alaska)
Old Sep 17th 2001, 11:24 pm
Christa L.

Same thing here. My husband got his greencard stamp Dec. 29th or so, no physical
greencard yet (it was Nebraska as well). Do you happen to know which form to use to
get the stamp extended or have the INS officially check on the status of the
plastic card?

>
Card
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It has been little over 6 month since the interview approval(stamp), and my wife[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have yet to received her greencard. Anyone with the same experience from INS in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > SEATTLE?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > TIA Jon[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Sep 18th 2001, 3:27 am
Jonathan_atc

Hey Joy,

I understand that you had problems with the INS person who apparently did not really
live in Alaska. One would think that a clerk in Alaska would understand that you
don't live in the PO Box, you live in a rural mail box. ;o)

--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}
"north_to_alaska" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Stop putting the undeliverable address on the forms, Joy! hahahaha! If[/usenetquote2]
they
[usenetquote2]> > didn't have it, they would not use it. Get it off your file completely. They ONLY[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > time they need real (physical) addresses is when you fill out[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > G-325A. Since that form is not what they use to send your green card,[/usenetquote2]
it is
[usenetquote2]> > obvious you mistakenly put your physical address on the I-89 (or[/usenetquote2]
whatever
[usenetquote2]> > that form that they have you put your one finger print on). Get in[/usenetquote2]
there
[usenetquote2]> > and do a change of address with them. Get that physical address that doesn't seem[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to work off your file completely.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Let this be a lesson to anyone else who might find themselves in a[/usenetquote2]
similar
[usenetquote2]> > situation. i.e. if you have a PO Box because no mail can be delivered[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > your home's physical address, don't be putting your physical address on[/usenetquote2]
any
[usenetquote2]> > forms but the G-325A ESPECIALLY not on the green card form that you put[/usenetquote2]
your
[usenetquote2]> > fingerprint on after a successful AOS interview.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jonathan[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 18th 2001, 4:21 pm
North_to_alaska

"Christa L." <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I don't know about forms to fill out for any of that. In Anchorage, the office is
small and you sign in and wait your turn, usually less than 5 minutes. You can ask
the INS officer any questions you like. They look up on their computer right there
and can tell you where in the process you are, where your green card is, the latest
correspondence received or sent out etc. My green card obviously was not going to
make it before my EAD stamp ran out so the INS officer at the counter extended the
stamp for another year right then and there. It seems that they are pretty omnipotent
in these matters. Best of luck~! Joy

Old Sep 18th 2001, 4:42 pm
Derek McEachern

[email protected] (north_to_alaska) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Must be nice. I too have the stamp but no card yet. I've got until November before
mine expires.

Derek