Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

green card , plz answer by email 2

green card , plz answer by email 2

Old Jan 26th 2001, 11:09 pm
Teri Camillo

My sister-in-law is an US citizen and is sponsoring my husband ; they filed for a green
card 6 yrs ago ... does it take that long ? how much longer can it take ? he's planning on
getting it , joining the navy , which, so he has been told , would make him a citizen much
faster . Then he'd marry me ( we just live together ) file for a green card for me and our
baby .. he's 27 now and u can only join the navy till 32 ... is there enough time for us
to fulfill our plan ? is there any flaw in our plan we haven't thought of ? how long would
i have to wait in brazil b4 we were reunited once he travels to join the navy ?

thk a lot 4 ur advice

Teri
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Teri Camillo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old Jan 27th 2001, 4:41 am
Alistair Bell

My sister-in-law is an US citizen and is sponsoring my husband ; they
> filed for a green card 6 yrs ago ... does it take that long ? how much longer can
> it take ?

The waiting list is about 11 years, so you have about another five to go.

> he's planning on getting it , joining the navy , which, so he has been told , would make
> him a citizen much faster . Then he'd marry me ( we just live together ) file for a
> green card for me and our baby ..

He's better marrying you _before_ he gets his GC. Then you and your baby get one too at
the same time. You don't have to wait for him to become a citizen etc.: you _would_ have
to if you married him _after_ he got his GC.

> he's 27 now and u can only join the navy till 32 ... is there enough time for us to
> fulfill our plan ?

Probably not, but it probably doesn't matter, as I explained above.

--
Alistair

*IMPORTANT NOTE* I am not a lawyer and do not dispense legal advice. For accurate
information, always consult a good immigration attorney.

Old Jan 28th 2001, 1:31 am
ctd123

Also keep in mind 80% of applicants are rejected who try to join the service.