Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card/citizenship and relocation

Green card/citizenship and relocation

Old Jul 8th 2020, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Blue York is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card/citizenship and relocation

Posting in the US section for additional input, I've been in the US for 3+ years, me and my USC wife are expecting our first child and when discussing what our long-term plans are, we both decided that we would like to move back to the UK! We have more friends and family in the UK than we do here, my wife has a small family in the US and we live in a different state from them so it is just the both of us and a newborn on the way!

Technically I can apply for citizenship in about a year's time though I know the processing times can take anywhere from 1-3 years it states on the USCIS website which is a long period to wait when wanting to relocate soon, I can only imagine with Covid that the backlog is greater now.
  1. If we were to to move back later this year would I still be required to file tax returns for the duration that my PR is still valid after this year(...we are currently removing conditions and have the 18 month NOA receipt so not sure what would happen with this or how to notify to stop that process?)
  2. If giving up PR does it effect you in visiting in the future as I would still want to visit my wife's family on vacation every few years with her and my child or for US vacation trips, would I just apply via ESTA like before?
  3. If we did wait and apply for citizenship and then move to the UK would this end my PR or could I come back for the interview?

I am not sure we want to wait another few years to relocate back home. I am just wondering if anyone on here has been in a similar situation or gave up their PR when relocating back to the UK permanently?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card/citizenship and relocation

The standard advice is to do everything you can to make sure you have citizenship to match your kids'. If they decide to move back as an adult, do you really want to have to face the visa battle again?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 11:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If we were to to move back later this year would I still be required to file tax returns for the duration that my PR is still valid after this year(...we are currently removing conditions and have the 18 month NOA receipt so not sure what would happen with this or how to notify to stop that process?)
A PR is required to pay taxes on their worldwide income, just the same as a USC. So yes if you intend to keep your PR status you must continue to file returns.

If giving up PR does it effect you in visiting in the future as I would still want to visit my wife's family on vacation every few years with her and my child or for US vacation trips, would I just apply via ESTA like before?
Abandoning your PR status will not preclude you from using the VWp in the future if you are otherwise eligible.

If we did wait and apply for citizenship and then move to the UK would this end my PR or could I come back for the interview?
This has been discussed a couple of times on BE recently. Basically as long as you continue to maintain ties to the US as a PR then you are still eligible to apply for USC. You would need an address where mail could be sent and received in the US, and would need to return for 1) the bioethics 2) the interview and 3) the oath ceremony.

Personally I would do everything in my power to become a USC before I moved abroad permanently. As you are married to a USC (assuming it is the same one that gained you PR in the first place) you are able to apply 3 years less 90 days from the date you gained US PR upon use of your visa.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

I would add my two cents to the chorus....Get citizenship before leaving...
Old Jul 15th 2020, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

All USCIS offices are showing 'up to 36 months' on the processing timelines page for N-400. Even those that were (pre-COVID) getting through the whole shebang in less than 4 months. Some offices take longer than others but even with COVID and the backlog I can't imagine any of them taking anywhere near 36 months for a routine application. I applied in September of last year at one of the slowest offices of all. My estimated completion date is January 2021 (was December 2020 pre-COVID). Even though the offices have been closed for a while, priority is being given to N-400s and other matters are being delayed (such as adjustment of status). My local office issued an announcement that in order to get through the backlog as quickly as possible they will be opening an hour earlier each day and closing an hour later each day just for N-400s and the oath is being incorporated into the interview - at the end of the interview, if you have passed you will be asked to swear the oath there and then and 5 minutes later they are walking out of the building with citizenship certificate in their hot little hands. This is so that they can have 'all hands on deck' with interviews and officers aren't taken away from their desks for oath ceremonies for a whole afternoon.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
All USCIS offices are showing 'up to 36 months' on the processing timelines page for N-400.
I just checked my field office and it says 6.5 - 8.5 months! I presume my field office is the one located right in my city, but I checked another one close to me just in case: they're saying 8.5 - 11 months. So I presume a lot of this backlog has been cleared, then?

Edit: I just logged in and have an estimated completion time of January 2021, so that's a rather impressive change from a 36 month estimate.

Last edited by Rose tea; Aug 5th 2020 at 7:20 pm.