Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card Application and travel restrictions

Green Card Application and travel restrictions

Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice
Default Green Card Application and travel restrictions

Hi,
We've been here now for 5 months on L1a/L2 visa, we are in the process of applying for greencards, medicals done, paperwork has gone backwards and forwards a few times with corrections but should now be ready to submit.

Is there a point when you are not allowed to travel outside the US during the process? I would really like to take a holiday back to the UK in April next year with the kids but not sure if we can book it or not.

Our L1a/L2 visas expire in July 2011 to me this seems cutting it very fine but lawyers seem happy that it gives plenty of time. Does that sound risky or should we be pushing harder for concurrent renewals of L1a/L2 which was the original plan?

thanks
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Application and travel restrictions

Originally Posted by budleigh
Hi,
We've been here now for 5 months on L1a/L2 visa, we are in the process of applying for greencards, medicals done, paperwork has gone backwards and forwards a few times with corrections but should now be ready to submit.

Is there a point when you are not allowed to travel outside the US during the process? I would really like to take a holiday back to the UK in April next year with the kids but not sure if we can book it or not.

Our L1a/L2 visas expire in July 2011 to me this seems cutting it very fine but lawyers seem happy that it gives plenty of time. Does that sound risky or should we be pushing harder for concurrent renewals of L1a/L2 which was the original plan?

thanks
You really need to ask your lawyers. You know, the ones who have all the information about your case?
I realize you may not be aware, but there are many different forms of paperwork involved in "the process of applying for greencards" so it is impossible to tell from your post whether or not you can travel and which documents you should carry to do so.
You can always post back to double check the information you think you've gotten from the lawyer.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice

Just trying to gain some more info on the procedure, not easy when you are out of the loop with the lawyers and with a busy husband who like most travels and works very long hours.

I would love to sit down with the lawyers and ask a load of questions but like most spouses it seems the process is between the company, lawyers and my husband and has very little to do with me apart from needing my signature every so often.
However I do like to have a general idea of what is going on.

Previous research on BExpats has always been great for helping build up knowledge and a realistic perspective of these processes.

Sorry if the questions were frustratingly vague. I will retreat back to google.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budleigh
Just trying to gain some more info on the procedure, not easy when you are out of the loop with the lawyers and with a busy husband who like most travels and works very long hours.

I would love to sit down with the lawyers and ask a load of questions but like most spouses it seems the process is between the company, lawyers and my husband and has very little to do with me apart from needing my signature every so often.
However I do like to have a general idea of what is going on.

Previous research on BExpats has always been great for helping build up knowledge and a realistic perspective of these processes.

Sorry if the questions were frustratingly vague. I will retreat back to google.
I understand, and if you've been reading here a while (I know you have), you know that most of us want to help you answer your questions. All I am saying is that you need more information to find an answer, so google won't help you. I'm not shutting you down from asking, just asking you to be more precise.

You *should* be able to travel any time; your L visas cover your particular situation and/or there is a travel document to use with the I-485 application. But it would be reckless of me to say 'go for it' without knowing what has actually been applied for.
Maybe making a list of questions in writing for the husband to forward to his contact?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

not knowing details of your situation, the following may or may not apply:

we are in process of green card applications through I-485 AOS (from L1A/L2).
We have been advised by our lawyers that there are no probolems in us travelling internationally whilst the applications are being processed.

I must say it all seems to be going very smoothly and quickly too (applications sent off in ?June, biometrics appointments this week....)

fingers crossed for you!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I can't answer your questions (sorry!), but just wanted to say hello, as I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I'm on an L2 with L1a husband, we've been here since April, and last week submitted the first lot of documentation requested from the company lawyer to start the Green Card process.

A friend of mine is currently adjusting from a fiancee visa (K?) to Green Card status, and has opted to play it safe by not leaving the country until she has it. I have no idea if they have been advised this, or whether it is normal for the type of adjustment. They are handling the application themselves though, without a lawyer. I'm quite jealous that her EAD came through in about 8 weeks and I'm still waiting for mine
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:37 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the US on an L1A and my company has filled an I-140 to kick off my GC (non-concurrent). To quote from an email from the lawyer my employer has retained: "There are no travel restrictions while the I-140 is being filed and reviewed"

That's the advise I was given. I have left the US and re-entered without issue twice since my I-140 was submitted and have a lot more travel booked.

tht