I-864 question

Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

mlw500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 question

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. My wife and i filed an I-130 for a visa for me. We are sorting out the I-864 at the minute. My wife can't sponsor me so her dad is and has filled out the I-864A and has sent his tax returns and stuff.

So i was just wondering, because my wife isn't sponsoring me, do we have to fill out the 1-864 form or is the I-864A form from her dad enough?

Thanks for your help
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

uknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud ofuknobby has much to be proud of
Default Re: I-864 question

I believe from what I have read on here that your USC wife must submit an I-864 even if she doesnt meet the financial requirements and you also get your joint sponsor to do one too but someone that knows more than me will be along shortly to answer in full. Hope this helps a little.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlw500
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. My wife and i filed an I-130 for a visa for me. We are sorting out the I-864 at the minute. My wife can't sponsor me so her dad is and has filled out the I-864A and has sent his tax returns and stuff.

So i was just wondering, because my wife isn't sponsoring me, do we have to fill out the 1-864 form or is the I-864A form from her dad enough?

Thanks for your help
Your wife MUST complete and submit an I-864, even if she doesn't qualify financially. She IS your sponsor, even if she doesn't meet the income requirements.

Her dad would only fill out an I-864A if he lives with your wife, and she would include his income on her I-864 as a contributing household member.

If dad lives separately, he will complete his own separate I-864.

But either way, your wife still has to do one.

Rene
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help
Oh, but your wife is sponsoring you!

It appears that you have not yet looked at the I-864 and I-864A forms carefully and read their instructions to see what the purpose of the forms is. I recommend that you start with there.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help.

I did read the forms, just find there's so much stuff on so many different bits of paper, it makes my head spin.

One last question, the ready yourself for interview thing they sent through give photo specifications, but no indication of whether i need to bring it to the interview and how many to bring, do you have any ideas on this?

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated-
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.

I did read the forms, just find there's so much stuff on so many different bits of paper, it makes my head spin.

One last question, the ready yourself for interview thing they sent through give photo specifications, but no indication of whether i need to bring it to the interview and how many to bring, do you have any ideas on this?

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated-
That information should be on the US Embassy website. If you are going through London, you bring 3 passport-style photos with you to the interview.

Rene
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that, i'm goingthrough dublin, and i haven't been able to find anything. i'll bring 3 just in case.

Thanks for your help again
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help
Correction: YOU are applying for an Immigrant Visa at the Dublin Consulate, after your wife filed an I-130 there.

Posting the correct information really helps people give you the correct answer.
And, even though they can be difficult, and there are a lot of new forms and terms swirling around, you really must read the I-864 and instructions.

That, and the link in my signature that I've posted before, and which explains the process.