Green Card

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

DK_4523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card

Ok i am awaiting the letter for my interview date in London. We applied for US citizenship for me with the I-130 form.

My wife USC seems to think that i can get the green card precoces going at the same time using the I-485 form!! Is this the case or do i have to wait till i am resident in the USA?
If i can sort this out now what do we need to do?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card

The I-130 is not for citizenship it is for allocation of an immediate relative visa. When that has been granted you then apply for your visa to come to the visa. When that is granted and you get here the GC comes in the post about 4 weeks afterward. Once you have been here three years you can apply for citizenship if still married to your wife.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DK_4523
Ok i am awaiting the letter for my interview date in London. We applied for US citizenship for me with the I-130 form.

My wife USC seems to think that i can get the green card precoces going at the same time using the I-485 form!! Is this the case or do i have to wait till i am resident in the USA?
If i can sort this out now what do we need to do?
Filing an I-130 leads to an Immigrant Visa. If you get approved at your interview in London, you will receive an Immigrant Visa (not US Citizenship).

When you use that Immigrant Visa to enter the USA, you become a US Permanent Resident right away (i.e., you get your green card right away). You do not need to use an I-485 in a case like yours. You will get your green card automatically in the mail after your arrival in the USA.

When you've been a US PR for 3 years (if you're still married to your USC spouse), then you can apply for US Citizenship.

Rene
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

On second thought....just to make SURE....

Did your wife file only an I-130 for you? Or did she also file an I-129F? If she filed an I-129F also, then perhaps you are getting a K-3 visa. If THAT is the case, your scenario will be different from what I described.

Please clarify whether you are getting an Immigrant Visa or a K-3 visa.

Rene
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
On second thought....just to make SURE....

Did your wife file only an I-130 for you? Or did she also file an I-129F? If she filed an I-129F also, then perhaps you are getting a K-3 visa. If THAT is the case, your scenario will be different from what I described.

Please clarify whether you are getting an Immigrant Visa or a K-3 visa.

Rene
OK, I see from your past posts that you filed the I-130 directly to London. So you are getting an Immigrant Visa (not a K-3).

Therefore, lansbury and I gave you the correct path to follow.

Rene
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

DK,

No, you didn't. Your wife applied - petitioned, actually - to qualify you to apply for an immigrant visa.

You already have 'the green card process' going. When you arrive in the USA using the immigrant visa you're going to apply for you will automagically become a PR. (Assuming they let you in.)

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by DK_4523