Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got a DV-2010 LOTTERY WIN,now what...

Got a DV-2010 LOTTERY WIN,now what...

Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:12 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Got a DV-2010 LOTTERY WIN,now what...

Originally Posted by handbagsatdawn
Hi Radion -so are you currently residing in the UK? When did you get details through of your win?

I'm still waiting...almost patiently!
I see you haven't read my first post then, it was May 1st for me, but seems like a lifetime ago now....hope you hear something soon
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:14 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meauxna
tsk, for shame! Get those papers organized into folders ASAP!
Are you kidding meauxna, done that a fortnight ago, too bloody organized, something is bound to happen....
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:46 pm
Wishful thinking...

Right,
So I have copies of marriage cert. birth certs. past passports,evidence of experience and training certs. for now...
In Oct/Nov time sending off for police certs for both of us which will come back clean.
So about this medical coming up, when do I organize to sort out an appointment for that, do I need the second letter back first then do it...
Also, the time line for this, we live in Cornwall which is a good bit away from London, do I get the medical done as near to appointment at Embassy or any time.
We are looking at around £500 each for visa and medical, then the train fare up there and B&B, will do photo's on our printer and take up enough copies of them also...anything else to sort out at this stage guys.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radion
...anything else to sort out at this stage guys.
Here you go, buddy, some reading for this week.

WASHINGTON - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) today released an updated version of Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants. This popular booklet includes essential information to help newly arrived immigrants settle into the United States.
The new Guide includes important updates since it was first introduced three years ago, including new online tools for USCIS services and essential information from the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal, state and community organizations.

By proactively disseminating this resource to new permanent residents while they still live abroad, USCIS is able to reach individuals at the earliest stage of immigrating, and provide them with a vital head-start on integrating into their new country.

In addition to settlement and integration information, the Guide contains an introduction to the U.S. system of government, a section on rights and responsibilities and information on how to obtain citizenship. It also has information about finding a place to live, getting a Social Security number, getting a job, registering children for school, finding healthcare, locating English language and adult education classes, preparing for emergencies, and finding community organizations that assist immigrants

Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radion
Also, the time line for this, we live in Cornwall which is a good bit away from London, do I get the medical done as near to appointment at Embassy or any time.
You don't get to book the appointment till you get the go-ahead from the consulate. But you can make sure you've had your shots now with proof from your GP, or if not get them done.

Who knows whether this list is up to date.

The doc's site is here: http://www.visamedicals.info/us.asp
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:46 pm
Wishful thinking...

Well thank you both for this valued information...nice one, this will keep me busy, and in busy not thinking what I have forgotten to do...
Thx guys...
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:13 am
Just Joined

l1rz1p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by starky
Congrats on selection. The hard part is getting your name pulled out of the hat, however you are far from out of the woods yet, and you have to entertain the fact that there is always a possibility that you may not end up with a GC. The best advise is not to make too many plans till you have your stamped DV-1 immigrant visa in your passport.

Now first things first you have been assigned a case number, it will look something like: EU000019456, not sure of the number of digits. This is very important as it will determine when you are likely to have your “visa interview”. Also what country is your DV country of eligibility? These are the two most important things you need to think about. If you let me know a rough idea of your case number, (don't post it anywhere on line) for example the number above could be posted EU...19XXX if you get me :-), then I can have a bit of a guess as to when you are likely to get an interview based on past years, its will just be a guess though there are no guarantees with winning the DV lottery.

this site will be your new friend:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_1360.html
(Current bulletin) http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_4454.html

you are interested in the section that says:

“B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY”

match your case number to the current cut off and your interview is scheduled. :-)

A quick tip, take your time filling in the forms, there is no rush sending them back, triple check everything you write on them, better still fill them in on your computer and print them out, thats ok to do, its what I did and the forms are much clearer to read then as if they are handwritten:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/80148.pdf

And make a copy of them before you mail them in, seems obvious but its important that all your time lines and employers etc all add up. You may have to wait 8/12/16 months for your interview and you will probably forget what you filled in on the forms by then! :-)

You will need police certificates from any country you have lived in for over 6 months, since the age of 16. Also try and get as much $$$ (£££) saved in a savings account, you want to aim to have about $10,000 (or £ equivalent) saved. This will help you no end when you have your interview, it will mean you wont need a USC to sponsor you, or a job offer. If you don't have the money you will still be ok, but you may have to do a little more hoop jumping to prove you wont become a public charge. You need a birth certificate confirming your country eligibility, or other related documentation if you are claiming it some weird way.
Also you will need to prove your education level, and or employment experience. Generally if you have any kind of third level qualification you will be fine. If you are claiming eligibility based on relevant work experience then again it slightly more hoop jumping, but equally as legitimate way of doing it.

There is also the immigration medical, which if you ask me is a bloody expensive blood test :-( I had to pay about £280 for my one, took all of 10 minutes.
Then the actual visa fees are about $800. I went through the entire process last year and aside from the 20 month turnaround time from entry (Nov06) to visas issuing (June08) it was relatively painless, although I had a very high case number which put my interview was in June. If your visa is not cleared and issued by the 30th of September 2009 then your chance is gone. Hundreds of people get stuck in “Administrative processing” which is slang for “you have the same name as a terrorist so the FBI are seriously checking you out” and stay stuck in it till long after the 30th of September and they lose the DV-1 immigrant visa.

That will get you started for now! Let me know if you have any more questions
Hello, thank you for your posting, i received my dv lottery for this year and i while i was reading your post i downloaded the pdf links so i tought to ask you how to fill those forms, i really need samples of that because i don't want to make mistales while filling it before sending it back to the kcc, please help me Sir, i really would appreciate it and God bless you
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l1rz1p
... i downloaded the pdf links so i tought to ask you how to fill those forms...
Have you tried filling in the forms yourself? The forms are very straight forward and there are no trick questions.

Why don't you try completing the forms yourself and if you get stuck on a specific question, then ask.

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Have you tried filling in the forms yourself? The forms are very straight forward and there are no trick questions.

Why don't you try completing the forms yourself and if you get stuck on a specific question, then ask.

Ian
Hi

1. In question 11 form APPLICATION FOR IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION, i know that i already have the address of the guy where i intend to live, so should i leave question 11 empty or write a dash or N/A or just leave it ?

2. If not married, have i just to leave question 14-15-16-17-18 blank also question 29 i have just to leave it cause i don't have children right ?

3. I don't understand the PART 2 of the form, please i need your suggestion in question :
40 a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l also 43 /a/b

4. It said in the PART 2 ' Do NOT SIGN this form until instructed to do so by the consular officer' so this part will not be sent with the documents or what

thank you Sir
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

1. In question 11 form APPLICATION FOR IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION, i know that i already have the address of the guy where i intend to live, so should i leave question 11 empty or write a dash or N/A or just leave it ?
Question 11 reads:
11. Address in the United States where you want your Permanent
Resident Card (Green Card) mailed, if different from address in item #10
(include the name of a person who currently lives there)

If you have completed Q10, and the address is the same, you may draw a line through Q11. Do not leave any empty questions, and avoid using "N/A".

2. If not married, have i just to leave question 14-15-16-17-18 blank also question 29 i have just to leave it cause i don't have children right ?
14-18, if you do not have a spouse or children, mark that in the box ("not married" or "no spouse"). This is to make sure the consular officer knows that you read the question and acknowledged it. If you leave it empty, they don't know if you ignored it or what.

3. I don't understand the PART 2 of the form, please i need your suggestion in question :
40 a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l also 43 /a/b
Part 40 is a set of very serious questions. You may want to get some help in translating them to your native language. I don't think we can help you with each question here.

4. It said in the PART 2 ' Do NOT SIGN this form until instructed to do so by the consular officer' so this part will not be sent with the documents or what
No, it goes with all the documents, you do not sign it now. You will sign it at your interview in front of the officer.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you alot, in the "Dear Selectee page" there is some required documents to send with the forms:

* Birth Certificates - I understood this
* Police Certificates - I understood this
* Passports - I understood this
* Deportation papers - What does it mean this one ????
* Court and and prison records - I understood this
* Military records - I understood this
* Marriage records - i understood this
* Termination of prior marriages - I understood this
* Translations - all the documents must be sent in original form + translated or just Translated papers??

I go again to the form in question 40 a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l, can you please just suggest how to answer if you are in my place, i really need help in this

One more thing, i saw in "APPLICATION FOR IMMIGRANT VISA AND ALIEN REGISTRATION" this line in instructions:

==> ( ... Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A".... ) so should I write N/A or draw a line cause i'm confused now.

Thank you alot, I really really appreciate your help dear members

Last edited by l1rz1p; Jul 7th 2009 at 11:56 pm. Reason: I forgot to add a line
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I go again to the form in question 40 a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l, can you please just suggest how to answer if you are in my place...
We can't help you with this. Why? Because we have no idea who you are, what your background is, what your criminal history is... or anything else about you that would help. We don't know what your "place" is. Anyway... these are simple "yes/no" questions... how hard can that be?

... should I write N/A or draw a line cause i'm confused now.
You should put "N/A" if a question really is "not applicable".

If English is not your first language, you should consider getting someone to sit down with you and help you go through each and every line.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:03 am

* Deportation papers - What does it mean this one ????
* Translations - all the documents must be sent in original form + translated or just Translated papers??

==> ( ... Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A".... ) so should I write N/A or draw a line cause i'm confused now.
When someone is removed from the US by Immigration, it is called 'deportation'. If you have not been ordered removed from the US, you will not have these papers. If you have, include them.

Translations.. If you have a non-English document that must be translated, you must include the original document in the foreign language + the translation.

The problem with the N/A instruction is that people get confused with which questions apply to them and which do not. It is a safer policy to not use N/A and to simply answer each question.
One example is regarding a spouse (husband/wife). If you do not have one, and the question asks for her name, instead of N/A you can write "I am not married".

That long list of Q40 questions.. you have to answer these, we don't know the answer. If there are words you don't understand, you must find someone who can help you translate. The questions are very important and the interviewer may go over them with you, so you want to understand them completely.

good luck, you're doing fine so far!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
When someone is removed from the US by Immigration, it is called 'deportation'. If you have not been ordered removed from the US, you will not have these papers. If you have, include them.

Translations.. If you have a non-English document that must be translated, you must include the original document in the foreign language + the translation.

The problem with the N/A instruction is that people get confused with which questions apply to them and which do not. It is a safer policy to not use N/A and to simply answer each question.
One example is regarding a spouse (husband/wife). If you do not have one, and the question asks for her name, instead of N/A you can write "I am not married".

That long list of Q40 questions.. you have to answer these, we don't know the answer. If there are words you don't understand, you must find someone who can help you translate. The questions are very important and the interviewer may go over them with you, so you want to understand them completely.

good luck, you're doing fine so far!

Thank you alot for your efforts guys, you are good men, i found a sample of the form through this web site link :

1- http://www.immihelp.com/forms/ds-230...pplication.pdf

i saw that he applied "NO" to all sections in question 40.

2- For the "N/A" i used " None " instead of "N/A", i think it's better

What do think ?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

i saw that he applied "NO" to all sections in question 40.
You must realize that was the truth for *HIM*. That is not necessarily the truth for *YOU*. You can't put "no" just because someone else put "no". You can't just put "no" without fully reading and understanding what is being asked.

2- For the "N/A" i used " None " instead of "N/A", i think it's better
It is better *if* it is true.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.