GOP to ban Diversity Visa???

Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GOP to ban Diversity Visa???

Originally Posted by retzie
How? You argued that H-1Bs are hitting white collar workers with the cheap IT labour angle, but I don't see where you mentioned what form of immigration is hitting the blue collar jobs. Do you mean the seasonal worker visas?? Even then, they are non-immigrant.
Outsourcing mainly.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I can see no benefit to the DV..
Lady Liberty can.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Lady Liberty can.
Pelsoi?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

How exactly do you qualify for social security without paying into the system? Curious minds would love to know! DV entrants are like other PRs -- there's very little you qualify for in terms of government handouts.
Sorry I think I got my terminology wrong, maybe I don't mean social security? Welfare? Replace all instances of social security with welfare.

Because it is an immigrant visa, the level of checks is more stringent than NIVs such as, for example, the H1b.
Not according to the House of Representative hearing I just posted... The LAX shooter was admitted on the DV for example.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point

More people equals prosperity? Since when?[/QUOTE]

Well, everyone agrees that Europe and Japan are on a suicidal path, due to really low fertility rates (less than 2.1).
Who will pay social security and other benefits to the elderly in fifty years? Stalin?

What you said is typical Malthusian-Green-Under Development idea, whereby the Earth must return to the Preistoric Age.
Luckyly, the USA will prosper due to costant young workers who will pay for those who retired, and so on and so on! ;-)
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
Sorry I think I got my terminology wrong, maybe I don't mean social security? Welfare? Replace all instances of social security with welfare.
Don't DV immigrants require an Affidavit of Support, then? Or are the requirements just not as stringent as for other IV categories?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
Well, everyone agrees that Europe and Japan are on a suicidal path...
I don't agree! So that pretty much proves you wrong. In future, I suggest you avoid absolute terms! Further, Europe isn't a country... so you can't compare the two as though Europe and Japan were the same sort of entity. In future, I suggest you compare apples to apples.

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The welfare programs a GC holder qualifies for are minimal.I don't think you're so much getting your terminology wrong as making it up as you go along.

Not according to the House of Representative hearing I just posted... The LAX shooter was admitted on the DV for example.
The Unabomber was a child prodigy and held a PhD in mathematics. I suggest we remove all who hold this pattern from immigrating as they are obviously dangerous, too.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: GOP to ban Diversity Visa???

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't agree! So that pretty much proves you wrong. In future, I suggest you avoid absolute terms! Further, Europe isn't a country... so you can't compare the two as though Europe and Japan were the same sort of entity. In future, I suggest you compare apples to apples.

Ian
Never mind Japan.
Regarding Europe i correct myself: some European countries almost are at the end of their suicidal path. See italy greece portugal spain etc.
It's not me saying that pal! Just millions of people..

I compare Europe and the Usa because of the similar size of people economy etc
A comparison between lichtestain and the Usa would not be the same!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Who said you needed a visa to be an immigrant?
Originally Posted by Boiler
Outsourcing mainly.
Okay, so it's not actually a US immigration policy issue at all. It's either people the system is already trying to keep out, or johnny foreigners minding their own business doing jobs in their own country. The former is an issue of enforcement, the latter a matter of regulating US businesses. I don't see either as a reason to drive US immigration policy reform.

helpmeplease123, you realise that your arguments apply even more to family-based immigrants? The DV at least enforces some educational requirements.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:35 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by retzie
Okay, so it's not actually a US immigration policy issue at all. It's either people the system is already trying to keep out, or johnny foreigners minding their own business doing jobs in their own country. The former is an issue of enforcement, the latter a matter of regulating US businesses. I don't see either as a reason to drive US immigration policy reform.
The undocumented immigration was a US immigration policy issue. The US government chose not to enforce its own laws.