Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Girlfriends mom sponsoring me for student visa.

Girlfriends mom sponsoring me for student visa.

Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Cluelessvisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Girlfriends mom sponsoring me for student visa.

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Many things could go wrong. You could break up with your girlfriend, her mother's generosity could end (either voluntarily or involuntarily). The daughter could have a fall-out with the mother and the mother decide she no longer wants to support two kids playing house. Plus it sounds like you've picked the establishment and course that suits your living arrangements best, not the one that suits your career path and academic achievements best.
I will be studying film in Los Angeles (hopefully) so the establishment suits my living and career path perfect, As for the rest i totally agree and and second sponsor being a family member would be best to help my cause.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 11:09 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

You get what you pay for....$2000 a semester including books is not a lot. Especially if that's the overseas student rate.

I don't see how her mother's costs are not going to increase, as you believe. Will she be paying your phone bill? Buying your clothes? What about transportation to and from your classes? What about your health insurance?

Somehow I get the impression that the mother doesn't know is she will be paying for two and you are going to be moving into your girlfriend's place behind her back
and hoping that the money she sends each month will stretch for the two of you.

Good luck to the two of you.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cluelessvisa
Ive been in the us for the most part of 2 years under the VWP
If this is true, it's likely that you have met the substantial presence test for the IRS - which means you must file a US tax return. Good luck with that. If you think US immigration is a bitch to deal with... just wait until you get on the IRS' radar... they'll make dealing with US immigration look like a pleasant walk in the park on a Sunday.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cluelessvisa
I will be studying film in Los Angeles (hopefully) so the establishment suits my living and career path perfect.
Good luck in achieving your dream.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As pointed out, your posting sounds very similar to a post put here not that long. In fact, to me it was not the one posted but rather the post from a young man who got his gf pregnant and they were thinking of marrying and living with her mother, etc.

Would like to say your love life has nothing to do with your plans but in actuality, they go hand in glove. If you part ways, there goes your home base. You will be homeless without means to feed and cloth yourself and quite possibly no way to go back to your own country.

You will be attending a school which cannot be a very well accepted institute if the tuition fees are only $2,000 a semester. Community colleges normally cost more than that. Sounds more like you will be attending a vocational school rather than a college and/or university.

I would just ask that you think this through very carefully and have a plan "B" in place if plan "A" falls through. GF's mom will wake up one day and realize that she not only has a daughter but has a foster son as well. Feeding you alone, might require her to get a second job.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 24th 2016 at 2:03 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 10:59 pm
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

has your future mother-in-law XD filled out and signed an I-134 to provide the evidence at your interview that she will provide the financial support?
Old Sep 26th 2016, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Cluelessvisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
has your future mother-in-law XD filled out and signed an I-134 to provide the evidence at your interview that she will provide the financial support?
She has, and she has also provided a bank statement showing 90k+ In available funds