UK Company, Office In NYC

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

RandomlySet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Company, Office In NYC

Hi all,

I live in the UK, and am a UK citizen. I've been wanting to moved to USA for sometime (would love NYC, and also Arizona).

Anyway, I've been talking with a UK company who have expanded into the US (Wall Street to be exact). They know I want to be out there, and are happy for that. Although, they are talking to some US based people about filling jobs in their new NYC office.

So, long story short, if I was to get the job with the UK company, how would I go about working in NYC? Could I not travel back and forth between NYC/UK until I had a visa approved? Or would I solely have to work with them in the UK until I get a visa?

It also leads to "how do they manage trade shows etc"? Again, part of their growth has involved them attending trade shows etc. Is this not classed as working - even if it's only for a week (if that)?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Company, Office In NYC

You would have to be working for the UK firm for at least a year before they can apply for an L-1A visa on your behalf. The application is made in April to start working in October, so it would be 2018 before they could apply for you.

You are not allowed to work on ESTA, period, so no, you couldn't travel back and forth. You would be working in the UK for that year.

You are allowed to visit for trade shows and training, so as long as you say so to the CBP officer when you enter, no problem.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You would have to be working for the UK firm for at least a year before they can apply for an L-1A visa on your behalf. The application is made in April to start working in October, so it would be 2018 before they could apply for you.
You have conflated the requirements for 2 different visas... an L-1 visa and an H-1B visa. Once the guy has worked for the UK firm for a year, the L visa can be applied for at any time. If he pursues an H-1B visa, the application must be submitted on April 1 for work starting October 1... and both would be in 2017, not 2018!

You are not allowed to work on ESTA, period, so no, you couldn't travel back and forth.
Umm... to clarify, he most certainly can travel on ESTA. He can't work... but he can certainly travel.

You would be working in the UK for that year.
If he was pursuing an L visa, any time spent in the US must be added to the 1 year requirement. So, if he spent 6 weeks in the US (6 trips of 1 week each, for example), he'd need to work for the UK company a total of 1 year + 6 weeks before being eligible to transfer.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to work for the UK company, in the UK, for at least one full year before they can do an L-1 visa for you. If you come to the USA for a trade show, they add that time into the year.

You are allowed to attend trade shows on the VWP.

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
..... Umm... to clarify, he most certainly can travel on ESTA. He can't work... but he can certainly travel. ....
There are a variety of business-related tasks he can perform too - such as attending conferences, management meetings, meeting clients, sales calls/ presentations, giving or receiving training, etc. .... He just can't "work" on either an ESTA/VWP or B-1/B-2 visit.

Also visiting the US frequently early in the year before relocating to the US around the middle of the year is going to make for a complicated tax return as the periods when he is visiting are, I think going to get added to the period after he moves to the US for the purposes of calculating his taxes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 23rd 2016 at 5:23 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You have conflated the requirements for 2 different visas... an L-1 visa and an H-1B visa. Once the guy has worked for the UK firm for a year, the L visa can be applied for at any time. If he pursues an H-1B visa, the application must be submitted on April 1 for work starting October 1... and both would be in 2017, not 2018!
Right. Thanks, Ian. I always get the two confuzzled!

Umm... to clarify, he most certainly can travel on ESTA. He can't work... but he can certainly travel. ~
As Pulaski states, there are certain business-related actions that are allowed on ESTA like training, attending meetings and/or trade shows, but no actual 'work'.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

If this is a UK company, would the E-2 manager visa be appropriate? Not sure if there are any prior employment provisos for that.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 6:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If this is a UK company, would the E-2 manager visa be appropriate? Not sure if there are any prior employment provisos for that.
Good suggestion! There are no prior employment strings attached to an.E-2, and in fact your first day working for the company could be in the US (we have one fairly active BE member who did exactly that).

The nationality of the employee must be the same as the country of registration of the parnet company, so in this case, the OP must be British (dual nationality is allowed), AND the parent company must be a company registered in England, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

RandomlySet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are a variety of business-related tasks he can perform too - such as attending conferences, management meetings, meeting clients, sales calls/ presentations, giving or receiving training, etc. .... He just can't "work" on either an ESTA/VWP or B-1/B-2 visit.
That's what a lot of the work would entail. Meeting clients and finding solutions to their problems, or simply show them how to do x y and z
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by RandomlySet
That's what a lot of the work would entail. Meeting clients and finding solutions to their problems, or simply show them how to do x y and z
In which case you will be treading a very fine line between what is and is not permitted. For example, while pretty much everything a business consultant does is permitted under the VWP or B-1/B-2 (the rules are identical), a business consultant cannot "work" in the US on the VWP or a B-1/B-2.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Also visiting the US frequently early in the year before relocating to the US around the middle of the year is going to make for a complicated tax return as the periods when he is visiting are, I think going to get added to the period after he moves to the US for the purposes of calculating his taxes.
I never understood the distinction between working and just visiting. Before I moved to the US, I would pretty frequently travel from the London office to the NYC office to work for a week, and only ever did vwp (this was before ESTA). All my colleagues did the same whenever they'd go there too. Was that wrong? Technically, are you supposed to have a visa even if just visiting the office for a week?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For working at the office, yes.

For a visit to the office but doing no work, no

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by pejp
..... Before I moved to the US, I would pretty frequently travel from the London office to the NYC office to work for a week, and only ever did vwp (this was before ESTA). All my colleagues did the same whenever they'd go there too. Was that wrong? .....
Yes, unless by "working" you mean "attending conferences, management meetings, meeting clients, sales calls/ presentations, giving or receiving training, etc."

If your job was as a draughtsman then you shouldn't have been drawing or designing anything.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2016 at 8:53 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, unless by "working" you mean "attending conferences, management meetings, meeting clients, sales calls/ presentations, giving or receiving training,� etc."

If your job was as a draughtsman then you shouldn't have been drawing or designing anything.

I used to basically just do my job in London, but from the NY office for a week, a couple of times a year. It was more of a way to just spend time with the team. I don't know of anyone from the London office who ever got a visa to work from the NY office. I guess it's one of those rules which are pretty tough to enforce in practice. I guess it would have been covered by 'giving or receiving training'

Last edited by pejp; Sep 25th 2016 at 8:33 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by pejp
I used to basically just do my job in London, but from the NY office for a week, a couple of times a year. It was more of a way to just spend time with the team. I don't know of anyone from the London office who ever got a visa to work from the NY office. I guess it's one of those rules which are pretty tough to enforce in practice. I guess it would have been covered by 'giving or receiving training'
I did the same things myself once, nearly 20 years ago. I didn't know any better at the time, and you are correct, in practice it is just about impossible to enforce in practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.