Girlfriend Not Sponsored

Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

PBZLewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Girlfriend Not Sponsored

Evening all,

Seeking some advice / information regarding potential next steps with the problem I am facing.

I am a Teacher from the UK and have been sponsored to work at an International School. However my long term girlfriend (5years) has no sponsorship.

What is the best course of action / type of Visa to allow her to move out and eventually work.?

Any help or advice would be welcomed,

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriend Not Sponsored

One assumes you're getting and H1B. If you were married she would get and H4 which does not come with work authorization and she cannot work. She would need to find her own H1B visa to work.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBZLewis
I am a Teacher from the UK and have been sponsored to work at an International School. However my long term girlfriend (5years) has no sponsorship.

What is the best course of action / type of Visa to allow her to move out and eventually work.?
If you want to remain unmarried, AND she wants to be able to work in the USA, she'll have to apply for a visa of her own, based on her own merits. She can't get any benefit from your visa.

If you don't mind getting married, and you are NOT getting an H1B visa, there might be some possibilities...let us know what visa you're actually getting, as a starting point.

If you've been cohabitating for some time and can prove it, you can remain unmarried and she can get a cohabitating partner B-2 visa to stay in the USA (but she can't work).

if you're getting an H1B visa, and you don't mind getting married, she can get an H4 to live with you in the USA (but she can't work).

We really need to know what YOUR visa will be, in order to give you any kind of help.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

She either gets her own visa on her own right, or you get married and she gets a derivative visa to come and if you're getting a H1B, then once you get so far down the road for a greencard, she can get a EAD to work.