Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting passport back from embassy

Getting passport back from embassy

Old Dec 11th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting passport back from embassy

Has anybody requested their passport back when they couldnt wait any longer.... if so, how long did it take to get the passport back from the embassy.

Here's what I am dealing with.....

I sent an email to embassy to ask about the status, and also inform me of the options if I wanted the passport back..... that was yesterday 11 AM london time.

Now, as of 2:30 PM, SMS got my package delivered to them ready to be delivered for me... and they want extra 30 quid to deliver to me tomorrow... I thought I rather wait.

The only concern is, if they have looked at my email yesterday and just sent the passport to SMS today... are the embassy ppl this quick in responding to my email... or would they have processed my visa and this was a coincidence.... god have to wait until monday now......

Any ideas.... or educated guesses...... of what might be the case.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting passport back from embassy

Coincidence. And if you don't want to wait until Monday, pay the £30. You'll spend that amount in shoe leather pacing around this weekend.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Coincidence. And if you don't want to wait until Monday, pay the £30. You'll spend that amount in shoe leather pacing around this weekend.
I agree......... pay the money ....
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudha
they want extra 30 quid to deliver to me tomorrow... I thought I rather wait.
Ok, so you're happy to wait to save the 30 quid. You know it's on its way, and you will get it Monday.

I don't understand why you posted?
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok, so you're happy to wait to save the 30 quid. You know it's on its way, and you will get it Monday.

I don't understand why you posted?
Just wanted to know if the embassy would have acted quickly for my email sent on thursday.

As I mentioned, I sent an email to embassy on Thursday asking to let me know what would be my options if I wanted the passport back. I havent actually requested it. And friday afternoon, that is today. I got message from SMS that passport is on way. I am trying to understand if the embassy has sent the passport because of my email or... they have completed the processing.

Yes I have decided to wait, as nearly 80 days of waiting me a little thick
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

As said above, it was a coincidence.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, just because you sent an email in, did not mean your application was pulled out of the wait line and expedited.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Believe me, just because you sent an email in, did not mean your application was pulled out of the wait line and expedited.

Unfortunately it looks like that its not a coincidence, somebody would have looked at my email and rather than bothering about giving me the options they gave me my passport back.

I just recieved the passport without any documents I submitted to embassy, Just passport no letter saying why it was returned. I am not sure how long the wait is going to be.... pretty bad situation to be in......
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I doubt that's what happened.

Anyone know knows your email address could create an email that appears to come from you. I would have thought the least they would do is check with you verbally before sending it back.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I doubt that's what happened.

Anyone know knows your email address could create an email that appears to come from you. I would have thought the least they would do is check with you verbally before sending it back.

Sorry if I have confused you....

I did send an email to the embassy asking for options to get back my passport on Thursday, Friday they sent my passport instead of what I should do in order to get back my passport.

I was just trying to check on the status and they actually shipped back my passport. Just the passport nothing else.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wasn't confused, I understood correctly.

It does seem odd, I will agree.

I suppose now you'll need to write to them to find out the status of your application.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice

Originally Posted by sudha
Unfortunately it looks like that its not a coincidence, somebody would have looked at my email and rather than bothering about giving me the options they gave me my passport back.

I just recieved the passport without any documents I submitted to embassy, Just passport no letter saying why it was returned. I am not sure how long the wait is going to be.... pretty bad situation to be in......
Sudha, try not to worry, they are still processing your case and have no need for your passport until the AP is done.
When they are ready they will email you with instructions to resend your passport and also update your photo if 6 months has passed since you submitted the original photo. At this point you should receive your passport and visa back within a few days.

The only word of warning is that travelling during AP can increase your wait time.

My timeline is below, my husband travelled several times during our AP which made our delay slightly longer.

Applied for L1A and L2 June 2008,
approved July 2008,
interview August 2008,
7 months administrative processing,
call for passports to be submitted to embassy and new photos Feb 2009, further administrative processing and request for further information,
another call for passports and fees taken May 2009
email to say visas cleared on 7th may but passports received 9th May by which time visas were no longer clear to be stamped
Email from SMS & Visas Received :-) August 2009
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budleigh
Sudha, try not to worry, they are still processing your case and have no need for your passport until the AP is done.
When they are ready they will email you with instructions to resend your passport and also update your photo if 6 months has passed since you submitted the original photo. At this point you should receive your passport and visa back within a few days.

The only word of warning is that travelling during AP can increase your wait time.

My timeline is below, my husband travelled several times during our AP which made our delay slightly longer.

Applied for L1A and L2 June 2008,
approved July 2008,
interview August 2008,
7 months administrative processing,
call for passports to be submitted to embassy and new photos Feb 2009, further administrative processing and request for further information,
another call for passports and fees taken May 2009
email to say visas cleared on 7th may but passports received 9th May by which time visas were no longer clear to be stamped
Email from SMS & Visas Received :-) August 2009
as a side note...be careful when using AP. Usually this is used for Advanced Parole, which is very different from administrative processing