Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting info from the National Customer Service Center

Getting info from the National Customer Service Center

Old Oct 17th 2003, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

bobolat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting info from the National Customer Service Center

Folks... there have been some posts here saying that the only way to get real information about your case status is to call the BCIS hotline. I called them today (800) 375-5283) and they didn't even want to ask for my case #. All they asked for was my zip code and told me that the N-400 was taking 10-12 months in my area (NJ) so I was within my timeframe.

I was wondering how people have managed to get more information from the cust svc reps. I had my finger printing done in July and wanted to find out where things stand at the moment and whether they knew if my interview letter was going to be mailed out soon.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting info from the National Customer Service Center

Originally posted by bobolat
Folks... there have been some posts here saying that the only way to get real information about your case status is to call the BCIS hotline. I called them today (800) 375-5283) and they didn't even want to ask for my case #. All they asked for was my zip code and told me that the N-400 was taking 10-12 months in my area (NJ) so I was within my timeframe.

I was wondering how people have managed to get more information from the cust svc reps. I had my finger printing done in July and wanted to find out where things stand at the moment and whether they knew if my interview letter was going to be mailed out soon.
That is terrible and of no help, but at least the max timeframe is now stated as 1 year instead of 2.

When my case was being processed, the Service Centers had their own numbers. The VSC, which I still have on my phone's redial, is 1-802-527-4913. when you call it will now redirect you to the National customer service center 800-375-5283. If you can't get ahold of the service centers in this new system, then this is even more restrictive which is not good if your case is stuck in the system within the 1 year timeframe. The NCSC reps were never any help. They would just say the same thing each time I called and didn't see the details of the case like one astute VSC rep eventually did, spotted the problem and got the supervisor to send the file out to the district office. The file arrived at the district office somewhere between 3 and 7 months late (since I don't know how long it took the interview officer to get around to my case) but still better than having the application time out at 2 years.

I wish I could offer more help. Some others mentioned something about an information release form at their local congressman's office and getting their office involved with mixed success. You could also try to get down to the district office during their business hours (some days they are closed unexpectedly).

Last edited by jaytee; Oct 18th 2003 at 12:57 am.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Jon1905 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jaytee
The VSC, which I still have on my phone's redial,
Redial?.. So YOU'RE the one who's been prank-calling them eh?

I think you mean speed-dial.. That or you really don't call many people...

~ Jon
Old Oct 18th 2003, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jon1905
Redial?.. So YOU'RE the one who's been prank-calling them eh?

I think you mean speed-dial.. That or you really don't call many people...

~ Jon

it feels like redial when you have to call them 45-75 times to get the phone to ring. sometimes I would just give up because they were too busy during that hour.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 2:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bobolat

The 1-800 is also known as the misinfornation number. The phones are manned by contract employees with no training or knowledge of the immigration system whatsoever. You do have the option of demanding to speak to what is called an second tier employee. This is suppose to be a trained USCIS person.

Rete