Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

GC vs I-751 notice - date discrepancy

GC vs I-751 notice - date discrepancy

Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

waveguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GC vs I-751 notice - date discrepancy

Hello -

Great forum everyone, I learned a lot from all your stories and answers.

Quick question on a date discrepancy -- On 10/05/05 I was granted a conditional GC, so the stamps in my passport indicate I am admitted until 10/04/07. I was also given a "notice to conditional permanent resident alien" explaining the rules around Form I-751 (Section 216, etc); this notice also indicates "admitted until 10/04/07". However the dates printed on the actual GC I received afterwards are different: "resident since 04/26/05" and "Card expires 04/26/07". Interestingly 04/26/05 is the date USCIS received our application packet (according to the very first NOA). I checked the USCIS website and it seems pretty clear that the dates should match, but I thought I would run this by the experts before calling USCIS and opening a new can of worms, returning the card, etc.

Thanks for your advice -

H.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GC vs I-751 notice - date discrepancy

Make yourself an Infopass appointment and check it out at the District Office. Something is wrong and the card needs to be corrected.

Originally Posted by waveguy
Hello -

Quick question on a date discrepancy -- On 10/05/05 I was granted a conditional GC, so the stamps in my passport indicate I am admitted until 10/04/07. I was also given a "notice to conditional permanent resident alien" explaining the rules around Form I-751 (Section 216, etc); this notice also indicates "admitted until 10/04/07". However the dates printed on the actual GC I received afterwards are different: "resident since 04/26/05" and "Card expires 04/26/07". Interestingly 04/26/05 is the date USCIS received our application packet (according to the very first NOA). I checked the USCIS website and it seems pretty clear that the dates should match, but I thought I would run this by the experts before calling USCIS and opening a new can of worms, returning the card, etc.

Thanks for your advice -

H.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waveguy
Hello -

Thanks for your advice -

H.
The I-551 stamp in the passport is normally valid for ONE year, not two as you say.
The 'resident since' date should normally be the day you were admitted as a PR, either the date you entered with an Immigrant Visa, the day of your AOS interview, or a random date after your AOS interview.

You will not be able to solve this by calling 1-800MisInformation. If it were me, I would make an appointment visa InfoPass and go to your District Office in person. Take ALL your pertinant paperwork.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

waveguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
The I-551 stamp in the passport is normally valid for ONE year, not two as you say.
The 'resident since' date should normally be the day you were admitted as a PR, either the date you entered with an Immigrant Visa, the day of your AOS interview, or a random date after your AOS interview.

You will not be able to solve this by calling 1-800MisInformation. If it were me, I would make an appointment visa InfoPass and go to your District Office in person. Take ALL your pertinant paperwork.
Oops, you are correct about the I-551 stamp ("valid until 10/04/06"), but the "section 216" stamp is "admitted until 10/4/2007". Not sure the second one is common practice; either way both you and Rete agree the card dates are messed up, so off we go to infopass...

Thanks a bunch, and happy new year!

H.